Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#773687 - 06/20/17 03:07 PM Living arrangements for Louisiana divorce
gregory0000 Offline
recently joined

I have read that Louisiana requires a married couple to live "separate and apart" for 180 days (without children) before a divorce can be granted.

Here is my situation: I purchased our house, in my name only, before we got married. During our marriage (a few years) we had a joint bank account from which we paid the mortgage.

When I ask for a divorce, is my spouse required to move out since the house is under my name only? Or am I required to move out since I'm the one asking for divorce? I will probably get push-back when I voice my desire to get a divorce.

Or is there a legal way in which we can still live under the same roof but still be considered "separate and apart?"

#773688 - 06/20/17 05:55 PM Re: Living arrangements for Louisiana divorce [Re: gregory0000]
TJMH Online   content

enthusiast

If you've been married for more than a couple of years and have been paying the mortgage out of marital funds the house is probably marital property, even if yours is the only name on the deed and mortgage. So probably neither of you can force the other to move out--it's something you'd have to decide between yourselves.

It sounds like "separate and apart" means what it says--you have to live under separate roofs. From what I gather the only way to get around the waiting period is to sue for divorce based on adultery or felony conviction of the other party.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: