Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#773765 - 06/30/17 08:14 PM Medical insurance in our present times...
Wren Offline
recently joined

We are very close to drawing up our settlement agreement, and I have a question for anyone here about medical insurance. I have been on my husbands insurance through his company, and understand that when we divorce, the laws say I cannot be on his policy any longer. I know that private insurance for a PPO is approximately $775 a month. YIKES! We have discussed keeping me on his insurance and delaying the date of divorce, but my husband doesn't want to do that.

My question is this.....does anyone have any thoughts, with our current state of affairs in the White House regarding Obama care, and Trumps healthcare plan, and what I need to be prepared for in all of this transition? I will have until the end of the year before I need to step up and figure this all out.

Thanks!

#773766 - 06/30/17 10:20 PM Re: Medical insurance in our present times... [Re: Wren]
100Divorce Offline
recently joined

Hi Wren,

Bless your heart. It's a tough time to have to make this decision, but I'm glad to see you have a few weeks, at least. I would hold off making a call right now, because things really are in such a state of flux. Assuming you don't have a large income, you should be in a better position with Obamacare, so let us hope the Congress and the President leave it alone.

If you need to go one way or the other for the settlement agreement, I would plan on Obamacare, knowing you can revise the agreement if it looks like Obamacare is going away on you.

#773768 - 07/02/17 05:25 PM Re: Medical insurance in our present times... [Re: 100Divorce]
Wren Offline
recently joined

Thank you for your input and encouragement. I will not be too focused on this until the end of the year, and perhaps it will all become clearer by then.

#773771 - 07/03/17 03:42 AM Re: Medical insurance in our present times... [Re: Wren]
TJMH Online   content

enthusiast

As a basic principle, I think you need to consider that you will be responsible for your own health care coverage and other than any spousal support obligation your ex will not be. I kind of agree with your ex that delaying the divorce so you can stay on his plan isn't reasonable unless there's some relatively near-term end (like you potentially getting coverage through an employer) in sight.

So really you're in the same boat as any other single person. If you hadn't married in the first place, where would you be in terms of health coverage right now?

#773774 - 07/03/17 03:25 PM Re: Medical insurance in our present times... [Re: TJMH]
Wren Offline
recently joined

Thanks TJMH - well, if I had not married this guy 32 years ago, I would have either developed my own career with my own insurance, or married a great guy and not be going through this divorce? ;)

And point taken that we are all in this same conundrum - flex and waiting to see what will happen with the state of our medical insurance coverage while the White House sorts it all out.

I was under the impression that his spousal support should help to cover my medical insurance, which is included in MSOL. At least half...? Or am I missing something here?

Thanks!

#773776 - 07/05/17 02:47 PM Re: Medical insurance in our present times... [Re: Wren]
TJMH Online   content

enthusiast

Yeah, I kind of figured that would be the flavor of the answer to "what if..."

I think his spousal support is intended to cover whatever you decide you want to spend it on, including whatever level of health care coverage that's available and you can fit in your budget. It should be scaled to allow both parties to live as close as possible to MSOL.

The problem is, obviously, unless the marriage had a lot of excess income, it's impossible for the same income to maintain both parties separately at MSOL. Anything he pays you lowers his standard of living, and he's also entitled to MSOL, no? So there's necessarily a consideration of "balance of hardships" and you both wind up somewhat below MSOL.

My opinion is that typically the supporting party is already pretty much earning income at or near their capacity, and the supported party more often is not (either because during the marriage they had other priorities like childraising or simply because during the marriage they could afford not to focus on earning money so they didn't). The only way the math really gets better is for the supported party to contribute more toward their own support and reduce the need for spousal support.

#773780 - 07/06/17 03:02 PM Re: Medical insurance in our present times... [Re: TJMH]
Wren Offline
recently joined

Very valid perspective, TJMH. I appreciate it.

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: