Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#773663 - 06/12/17 01:00 AM Can I do it myself?
Jasmin87 Offline
recently joined

I'm the wife, married for almost 8 years, I'm a stay at home mom with two children, and we own a house and a car together,

Can we do it on our own? Or a lawyer is a must? Will I qualify for alimony if I haven't worked since we got married?

I'm not sure where I should start, get a job first? Of just file? Please help.

Thank you.

#773665 - 06/12/17 12:43 PM Re: Can I do it myself? [Re: Jasmin87]
MinnesotaMom Online   content

old hand

You might get alimony depending on your state, but it will most likely be short term. Getting a job or training is imperative to your long term financial success. Otherwise, poverty is in your future.

Can you divorce without an attorney? With assets and children, I'd say you would be foolish to attempt it.

#773666 - 06/12/17 01:41 PM Re: Can I do it myself? [Re: MinnesotaMom]
Jasmin87 Offline
recently joined

From what I understand lawyers cost thousands and I can't afford that, what are my other options?

#773667 - 06/12/17 04:20 PM Re: Can I do it myself? [Re: Jasmin87]
TJMH Online   content

enthusiast

If you and your spouse are mostly agreeable or at least in the same ballpark regarding the issues (including property division, custody/parenting, child support, spousal support) you might look at mediation. Many mediators will charge a flat rate of a few thousand dollars to run a few sessions to help you craft an agreement and also do all of the necessary legal paperwork. Much less expensive and probably easier than getting separate attorneys.

#773803 - 07/07/17 09:25 PM Re: Can I do it myself? [Re: Jasmin87]
QDRO Instructor Offline
journeyman

Another option is to have a paralegal prepare your documents for you. I am an Independent Degreed Paralegal, Notary Public, Member of the National Notary Association with experience in Real Estate Law and Family Law and Property Division. I prepare documents for uncontested divorces in New York State as well as QDROS and have 100% acceptance rate with plan administrators. I am not an attorney, and therefore, cannot give legal advice. However, I can prepare the necessary documents along with the tax advantages/disadvantages and then allow you to decide which route you would like to take. My LinkedIn page can be found here www.linkedin.com/in/divorceprep All uncontested divorce documents flat fee $350. All property division documents flat fee $350.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: