Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#774038 - 11/03/17 11:48 PM back child support question
jaybird Offline
recently joined

i have been paying child support for 7 years, in that time i have been layed off about 3 times missed some payments and went back to paying when i was working again. i was just layed off about 6 months back, missed some payments, went back to work 2 weeks ago and just started back with the payments. i got a letter saying i owe 16,000 in back childsupport and had 30 days to pay it. i dont understand how i can owe that much, it would be like 5 or 6 years of no payments, i have never missed that many. i know they add fees and interest but can they actually double the amount. i dont come close to making that kind of money and cant pay that. im scared and dont want to go to jail for not being able to pay so much money. what can they do? im working and making payments now.
i have never refused payments, i have only missed payments due to being out of work.
i live in arkansas.
thank you for the help

#774040 - 11/04/17 02:54 AM Re: back child support question [Re: jaybird]
matilda Offline
Pooh-Bah

I would contact them and ask for an account so that you can verify that the payments you made were credited to your account. I would also start digging out all of your proof of payment items such as canceled checks. I would also look into the possibility of modifying your CS if you are laid off again in the future.

#774041 - 11/04/17 03:14 AM Re: back child support question [Re: matilda]
jaybird Offline
recently joined

[quote=matilda]I would contact them and ask for an account so that you can verify that the payments you made were credited to your account. I would also start digging out all of your proof of payment items such as canceled checks. I would also look into the possibility of modifying your CS if you are laid off again in the future. [/quote]
thanks, do you have any ideas if they can put you in jail when your working and making the payments?

#774042 - 11/04/17 03:20 AM Re: back child support question [Re: jaybird]
matilda Offline
Pooh-Bah

I'm sorry, but I am not sure about that for your state. Some states are more likely to than others. I would start collecting documentation of payments, job losses, and what you did to find work while unemployed. At least if they try to put you in jail you can show that you tried to stay employed and make payments.

#774043 - 11/04/17 03:24 AM Re: back child support question [Re: jaybird]
matilda Offline
Pooh-Bah

I just found this on a website.

The Arkansas Supreme Court recently clarified the law on imprisonment for failure to pay child support. We do not have debtor’s prison in Arkansas, but a court can sentence you to jail for contempt. That is, a court cannot sentence you to jail for being unable to pay. A court can sentence you to jail for refusing to pay. Therefore the law requires courts to first assess a payor’s ability to pay. If the court determines that the payor has the ability to pay child support, but refuses to, then the court can impose a sentence of jail time.

#774044 - 11/04/17 03:46 AM Re: back child support question [Re: matilda]
jaybird Offline
recently joined

thanks matilda, i read that same thing. according to that and what i posted in the OP you wouldnt think they would jail me over this but im still worried. i was hoping i might find someone that has been through a similar situation or knows someone that did.

i am with another lady now (we been wanting to get married for more than a year but i cant afford it) with a teenager and they depend on me for support. im scared about going to jail, they cant make it without me.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: