Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#774367 - 02/19/18 04:26 PM alimony for long term marriage
Mousse Offline
recently joined

What is a fair spousal support amount for my situation? 24 yr marriage, I raised the 3 children who are in college now and did not work. We moved alot for husbands job. I have been working part time the last few years, making $9000 a year. He makes 150,000 a year. He walked out a few months ago for no reason really. we have $400,00 in assets, very little debt. We are in Tennessee.

#774371 - 02/20/18 01:28 PM Re: alimony for long term marriage [Re: Mousse]
MinnesotaMom Offline

old hand

Your age is probably the biggest factor. Are you less than 50?

What is your educational level? Are you disabled in anyway? How old is he and how many years until hs can retire? Who is paying for the kid's education and living expenses?

Alimony can be from future cash payments, uneven asset division or a combination.

#774372 - 02/20/18 02:03 PM Re: alimony for long term marriage [Re: Mousse]
Mousse Offline
recently joined

I am 50, he is 47. I have a college degree but haven’t worked full time since my twins were born 19 years ago. Right now he is paying the kids expenses, but they also work. They all live with me still in our house. We live in a college town. My 21 yr old was just dx with diabetes so still needs to be at home.

#774373 - 02/20/18 09:10 PM Re: alimony for long term marriage [Re: Mousse]
MinnesotaMom Offline

old hand

If I were him, I would ask for rather short term alimony so you can retrain to get back into the job force; probably 4 years or so. He would also have to give a majority of the assets so you can survive with minimal outlay during that time. Or, you split the assets (you would owe him 1/2 the value of the home, but they might be offset with other assets) and have alimony for a longer period of time, say 10 years. As for the estimate dollar amount, it varies greatly from state to state, court to court and judge to judge.

I retrained to be a police officer when I was 40, then changed again at 52 and am now an RN. I barely worked before then as I was with the kids.

What I usually tell folks to do is to look at their proposal, than ask yourself would you feel good about signing it if you were presenting the exact proposal to yourself? If the answer is no, it's time to rethink the proposal.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: