Like a divorce, an annulment is a court procedure that dissolves a marriage. But, unlike a divorce, an annulment treats the marriage as though it never happened. For some people, divorce carries a stigma, so they prefer to have their marriage annulled. Others choose annulment because it may be easier to remarry in the church if they go through a civil annulment rather than a divorce.
- Introduction: A basic introduction to annulments, the purpose they serve, and when an annulment may be appropriate.
- Annulment vs. Divorce: Like a divorce, an annulment is a court procedure that dissolves a marriage. But, unlike a divorce, an annulment treats the marriage as though it never happened.
- Void Marriages: Marriages void ab initio("from inception") do not legally exist in the first place because they are against the law in most states.
- Voidable Marriages: Marriages voidable nun pro tunc ("from now for then") are legal, but flawed in such a way that the law says they are not recognized.
- Grounds for Annulment: Annulment laws vary from state to state. The rules for statutes of limitation are especially complicated because they depend not only on state law, but also on the reason a party asks the court for an annulment.
- Common Law and Annulments: Grounds for annulment may be set forth by statute or, in many jurisdictions, common-law grounds suffice.
- Religious Annulments: Within the Roman Catholic Church, a couple may obtain a religious annulment after obtaining a civil divorce (or a civil annulment), so that one or both people may remarry within the church and have the second marriage recognized by the church.
- Divorce Online - With this online software you will complete and instantly print your divorce forms and step-by-step filing procedures to file your own divorce in a timely, professional, and hassle free fashion.
- Online Separation Agreements - When you and your spouse agree about how to resolve your issues, 3StepAgreementTM puts you in charge and gets everything in writing.
- Divorce Negotiation Online - You will be surprised how easy it is to resolve your disputes through our innovative Divorce Negotiation CenterTM. It's FREE. Give it a try.
Recent Related Blog PostsAll Divorce (General) Blog Posts
|The Complete Guide to Divorce
You Must Have this Guide to Have a Successful Divorce! This book supplies the information you'll need to evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of your situation, ultimately allowing you to make better decisions before, during and after your divorce.
Related Article ArchivesCourt Procedures
General Divorce Issues
All Article Archives
Related CategoriesContemplating Divorce
Related ForumsDIY Divorce
Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Make Sure You Document Everything.
Men's Rights Manual for Divorce
Women's Rights Manual for Divorce
The Limits of Discovery During Divorc
Established in 1996
© 1996 - 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Divorce Source. All Rights Reserved.