Locating a Service Member Spouse for a Military Divorce
Key Points
  • There may be a time when you cannot locate your spouse. In a military divorce it may be much easier to find your spouse since the military has records of each assignment.
  • To find a missing military spouse check with the base locator office or a former commanding officer. If you are trying to find your spouse for child support purposes, try the Federal Parent Locator Service.

Like civilians, a spouse who separates after marriage must be located, and here a military couple enjoys an advantage. A military spouse is probably easier to locate in many cases than a missing civilian spouse.

First of all, the spouse must know the Service Member's Social Security number. The Social Security number identifies him or her throughout the service. The other spouse probably knows it. If there is a problem with finding it, the number is often included on loan applications and is always on an income tax return.

A local Army recruiter is often able to track down service members. The recruiter who enlisted the spouse may know his or her location, or the recruiter may be able to find it without too much trouble.

A spouse who knows his or her partner's last assignment can try to track him or her. Each military base has an office called the base (or post, in the case of the Army) locator. It is the duty of this office to be able to locate a Service Member.

If the base locator office fails, the former commanding officer may know a spouse's new assignment. Base or post commanding officers are extremely busy, and finding the location of a spouse, while serious to a spouse seeking to end a marriage, is probably not the most serious issue facing the officer on any given day.

Suppose a woman cannot wait to use the base locator office to find her husband because she needs money for child support soon.

If there are children involved, the Federal Parent Locator Service will be able to assist a civilian who is up against time pressures. The Locator Service has the resources to track down absent fathers and mothers. In addition, all states now have public agencies that enforce child support orders for those who request assistance. These agencies are known as Title IV-D (pronounced "four dee") agencies, after the section of the law that added them.

The federal government, through the Child Support Enforcement Amendments of 1984, requires states receiving Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC) funds - that is, all of them - to offer a parent-locator and child support service to all custodial parents, whether the custodial parents receive AFDC benefits or not. This means a spouse need not be on welfare to use the state's agency.

Useful Online Tools
  • Military Divorce Online - With this online software you will complete and instantly print your divorce forms and step-by-step filing procedures to file your own divorce in a timely, professional, and hassle free fashion.
  • Divorce Negotiation Online - You will be surprised how easy it is to resolve your disputes through our innovative Divorce Negotiation CenterTM. It's FREE. Give it a try.

Suggested Reading
Divorce & the Military II Divorce & the Military II
DIVORCE AND THE MILITARY II is the newly published comprehensive guide for military members (active duty, reserve/guard, and retired), spouses, and their attorneys, on the Uniformed Services Former SpousesŐ Protection Act (USFSPA). The USFSPA is the federal law that permits the award of military retired pay in a divorce.

Author: Marsha L. Thole and Frank W. Ault

Recent Related Blog Posts
    All Military Blog Posts

Related Article Archives
International Issues
    All Article Archives

Related Categories
Child Relocation
Pensions & Divorce
    All Categories
Related Forums
Child Removal
DIY Divorce
Military Divorce
    All Forums

Resources & Tools

Bookstore Promotion Discount

Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.
A WORD OF CAUTION -- Splitting of military retirement pay is not mandated by the USFSPA (Uniform Services Former Spouse Protection Act). The divorce decree must state the percent of retirement pay awarded. Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS), which processes pay claims of the Department of Defense, has very strict rules about the wording of a divorce decree.
Start Divorce

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code:


Featured Book Divorce & the Military II

Divorce & the Military II

Divorce & the Military II


Featured Download A Guide to Child Support Enforcement Against Military Personnel

A Guide to Child Support Enforcement Against Military Personnel

A Guide to Child Support Enforcement Against Military Personnel

Guarantee Official PayPal Seal Facebook Twitter Versign Secure Site