Name Change and Divorce
What you need to know:

Divorce can be a long process that may drain your energy and leave you feeling out of control. No matter what has occurred in your past, your future always offers a fresh start. Now, more than ever, you have the chance to build the life you've always wanted.

The first step in creating your new life is to find out what you want. Then take the steps you need to have your dreams become reality. If you're ready to create a new life after divorce getting your name back may be just the action necessary to kick-start the new you.

Changing your name after a divorce is a very personal decision and a complicated process, which tends to raise a large number of questions but fortunately we have a name change notification kit to help you through it. Before you begin your name-change, it may be beneficial for you to read through some of the most frequently asked questions below.

Do I have to change my name after the divorce?

There are no requirements for you to change your name after your divorce. Resuming your former name marks a return to your former self, and for many women, it represents a positive step towards their new life.

How do I make sure I can change my name after the divorce?

Be sure to request that the judge presiding over your divorce makes a formal order restoring your former or birth name. If your divorce decree contains a name-change order it will serve as legal proof of your intended name change when you file your state and government forms.

What if my divorce decree does NOT have an order that restores my name?
You should be able to modify your divorce decree to include a name-change order. It is easiest to contact the court clerk that issued your divorce decree to request a modification.

What do I need to do to change my name?

You will need to complete and file name-change forms for Social Security, IRS 8822, United States Passport, United States Postal Service, and your state driver's license. After filing those forms you will need to call or submit letters to all of your creditors such as banks, credit cards, physicians, insurances, ect.

How do I know when I've gotten my name back?
Once you've filed all of your state & U.S. government name-change forms and notified all of your creditors of your new name, your name-change is almost complete. You will know that your name is legally changed when you receive your new Social Security card, Driver's license, and U.S. passport with your new name on them.

After my divorce is finalized, can I change my children's last names to my maiden name?

Historically, courts ruled that a father had an automatic right to have his child or children keep his last name if he continued to actively perform his parental role. Now a child's name can be changed through a court petition if it is clearly in the best interest of the child. only works for divorcees. We are unable to change the names of minors.

Related Article Archives
Court Procedures
    All Article Archives

Related Categories
Children & Divorce
Divorce Laws
Divorce Process
Paternity Issues
Women's & Mother's Rights
    All Categories
Related Forums
Child Custody
Women's Rights
    All Forums

Resources & Tools

Bookstore Promotion Discount

Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.
THE PROOF -- A certified copy of the divorce decree that stipulates the restoration of a birth name is sufficient proof. If the divorce decree does not contain such an order restoring the birth name, it might still be possible to do so.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code:


Featured Download State Specific - Name Change Notification Kits

State Specific - Name Change Notification Kits

State Specific - Name Change Notification Kits

Guarantee Official PayPal Seal Facebook Twitter Versign Secure Site