Nevada Info

Nevada Divorce Start Your Divorce Find Professionals Nevada Articles Divorce Facts Divorce Grounds Residency Divorce Laws Mediation/Counseling Divorce Process Legal Separation Annulments Property Division Alimony Child Custody Child Support Divorce Forms Process Service Grandparent Rights Forum Nevada Products Divorce by County

Nevada Articles

Divorce/General Parenting SEE ALL

Info Categories

Contemplating Divorce Children & Divorce Divorce, Dollars & Debt Divorce Laws Divorce Process Divorce Negotiation SEE ALL

More Information

Articles Checklists Research Center Cases of Interest Dictionary Encyclopedia Encyclopedia (pop-up) Blogs

For Professionals

Advertise With Us Free Network Page Join Our Network Submit Articles Sign In

Network Sites

Nevada Divorce Support Nevada Divorce Online

Tips About Nevada Divorces

Divorce, is sometimes a necessary and only solution to marital discord and it is sad but true. The following are commonly asked questions regarding divorce in Nevada and answers.

Q.: What are the grounds for divorce in Nevada?

A.: In Nevada it is usually irreconcilable differences, but insanity for two years prior to the action, and spouses living separate and apart for more than one year are also used. Currently in Nevada adultery, mental cruelty and other grounds for divorce under a fault-based system are not needed for purposes of dissolving a marriage in Nevada.

Q.: What are the residence requirement necessary before filing a divorce suit?

A.: Six weeks residency in the state and a Resident Witness that you have know for at least four (4) months that can attest to your presence in the state for all of the six-week period. The petitioner’s affidavit states that you intend to make Nevada your home for the foreseeable future.

Q.: In a divorce case, what kinds of things will the court decide?

A.: When filing a Joint Petition by Summary you usually do not have a Court Hearing per se so you can state conditions as you wish providing they adhere to state law. They will always make a decision on the marital status unless the case is withdrawn. If there is property held by the husband and the wife, the court will decide on the division of any property held in common (community property or joint tenancy property) and will determine what property is the separate property of the husband or the wife.

The Court will determine whether either spouse will receive an award of support (alimony) from the other spouse. If there are children of the marriage, the court will determine which spouse will have visitation rights and which spouse will make child support payments.

It is possible to simply dissolve the marriage, but some courts will make a determination of property rights, eventually. For example, some persons from out of state will establish residency in Nevada in order to dissolve a marriage but property held outside the state of Nevada would be subject to jurisdiction in Nevada’s courts.

Q.: When the court divides community property and/or joint tenancy property must it be a 50-50 split?

A.: The division may be 50-50. But the court has the discretion to make an equitable apportionment of the community property and/or joint tenancy property.

Q.: How else can property be divided?

A.: Sometimes community property debts equal more than community property assets, or one spouse gets an entire asset, such as a house or car that cannot be easily split. In such cases, one spouse’s separate property may be applied to pay community property debts, or to even out an otherwise uneven split of community property.

Q.: Can a husband and wife agree on how to divide their property?

A.: Yes, provided that the agreement is written and is approved by a court in the divorce proceeding. Provision must be made for child support if there are any minor children and payment of debts.

Q.: If the couple signed a prenuptial agreement before the marriage, can it be enforced?

A.: A prenuptial agreement for support and division of property may or may not be upheld, depending upon the circumstances. Bother prospective spouses should seek legal counsel before signing such an agreement.

Q.: What provision does Nevada make for child support payments?

A.: Ordinarily, the spouse who has primary custody of the child/ren will receive child support payments from the non-custodial spouse. There are guidelines under state law for the amounts of child support to be paid, with $100 per child being the minimum and $500 per child being the maximum, unless the court has good reason to deviate from the formula.

  • For one child, 18% of the gross monthly income of the paying spouse.
  • For two children, 25% of the gross monthly income of the paying spouse.
  • For three children, 29% of the gross monthly income of the paying spouse;
  • For four children, 31% of the gross monthly income of the paying spouse; and
  • For each additional child, an additional 2% of the gross monthly income of the paying spouse.

Q.: What is the basis for a child custody determination by the court?

A.: First and foremost, the best interests of the child, taking in to account the ability of each spouse to raise the child/ren, what would be the most stable environment for the child/ren, available financial resources for the child’s support and other factors. The respective spouses may be required to submit to an evaluation by officers of the court to determine there factors.

Q.: Is it required to give the non-custodial parent visitation rights?

A.: Yes, unless there exists a Court Order that the non-custodial parent cannot have contact with the child/ren, or the non-custodial parent’s rights have been terminated. Not only must visitation rights be given, they must be spelled out very specifically as what days, pick up and drop off times, pick up and drop off places, arrangements for holidays, birthdays, and vacations.

Q.: What is the cost of filing a divorce petition or complaint?

A.: Each county differs but currently in Nye County it is $135 which is to be paid in cash at the time of filing. In Clark County the fee is $147(effective 10/1/97). Unless you are petitioning the court to forgive the fee (known as an EX PARTE MOTION FOR LEAVE TO PROCEED IN FORMA PAUPERIS. Check for the procedure/s with the county you reside in.

Q.: Can a request for fee waiver be made by the Petitioner and/or Plaintiff?

A.: Yes, there are specific forms to file to motion the court to forgive the filing fee. The motion is an EXPARTE MOTION FOR LEAVE TO PROCEED IN FORMA PAUPERIS. A signed and notarized financial affidavit is required showing income and debts. The final decision is in the hands of the court so do not leave anything out.

Q.: When there are children involved is there any requirements for counseling?

A.: Currently, in Clark County couples are required to attend divorce counseling sessions. Nye County does not require this. Although it is wise to check with your respective county offices.

Q.: Do I need an attorney to initiate proceedings?

A.: Although, it is always wise to seek professional counsel one may file what is known as Pro Se or Proper Person and represent yourself in court. There are legal kits available for some divorce proceedings.

Q.: Do we have to appear in court?

A.: With a Joint Petition by Summary procedure you are not required to appear. You may either petition the court for judgment and unless there are extenuating circumstances you will most likely not have to appear.

Q.: What data is required for completion of divorce documents?

A.: Legal Names (all parties concerned) , the Social Security Numbers (all parties), Dates of Birth (all parties concerned), Addresses; Phone; Driver Licenses Numbers, Resident Witness Information such as name, address, date moved to Nevada and date met Petitioner, Financial Information for support, Company names, Amounts and who will pay.; Property-personal and real and who is getting what, Vehicle Make, Model, VIN and who is keeping what; and Custody & Visitation Schedule.(if applicable).

Was this helpful? Like our site & let us know.

Related Articles

Start Nevada Divorce Start Your Nevada Online Divorce Today
Easy, Fast and Affordable with a 100% Guarantee.
Nevada Divorce Find Nevada Divorce Professionals in Your Area:
Join the Network
Nevada Divorce Products, Services and Solutions Nevada Divorce Products, Services and Solutions
Nevada Divorce Resources to Help You Through the Process.
Online Parenting Class Nevada Mandatory Online Parenting Class
Easy and convenient - complete at your own pace online.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Divorce Bookstore
Over 100 Titles of the Best Books on Divorce & Custody.
Divorce Downloads Divorce Download Center
Instantly Download, Books, Manuals, & Forms.
Divorce Worksheet Free Nevada Divorce Worksheet & Separation Agreement
Your Guide to Get Organized and Put Everything in Writing.
Nevada is a community property state, which means that unless the spouses agree to divide the marital property differently, the court will split it 50/50 between them.
Divorce Lawyers & Mediators

Find Professionals

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code:


Start Your Divorce File for a Nevada Divorce


Settle Your Divorce Negotiate Your Nevada Divorce


Support Forum Nevada Support Forum

Guarantee Official PayPal Seal Facebook Twitter Versign Secure Site