New Jersey Info

New Jersey Divorce Start Your Divorce Find Professionals New Jersey Articles Divorce Facts Divorce Grounds Residency Divorce Laws Mediation/Counseling Divorce Process Legal Separation Annulments Property Division Alimony Child Custody Child Support Divorce Forms Process Service Grandparent Rights Forum New Jersey Products Divorce by County

New Jersey Articles

Agreements Attorney Relationship Custody & Visitation Child Support Collaborative Law Counseling Divorce/General Domestic Abuse Domestic Partnership Financial Planning Foreign Divorce Mediation Parenting Property Division Spousal Support SEE ALL

Info Categories

Contemplating Divorce Children & Divorce Divorce, Dollars & Debt Divorce Laws Divorce Process Divorce Negotiation SEE ALL

More Information

Articles Checklists Research Center Cases of Interest Dictionary Encyclopedia Encyclopedia (pop-up) Blogs

For Professionals

Advertise With Us Free Network Page Join Our Network Submit Articles Sign In

Network Sites

New Jersey Divorce Support New Jersey Divorce Online

FERPA and College Contribution
My son has refused to provide me with a copy of his grades/transcript from the Middlesex County College.

Do I still have to pay for child support and college contribution if my son refuses to give me a copy of his grades/college transcript?

New Jersey divorced parents who help pay for their child’s college education are now legally entitled to review their child’s grades/transcript. In the recent New Jersey case of Van Brunt v. Van Brunt, (Superior Court of New Jersey, Ocean County, Chancery Division, Family Part, Docket No. FM-15-091-08N, 2011), the court held that a child must now provide his/her transcript to the payor parent. The court held that this legal requirement does not violate the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act FERPA. As a result of this case, a child or a custodial parent can no longer hide behind any legal shield provided by FERPA. A child must now disclose his or her grades/transcript to any parent who is paying for college.

After a divorce, it is common knowledge that many ex-spouses remain at war with each other. Unfortunately, the kids get stuck in the middle. In many cases, the non-custodial parent is simply seen as a wallet, and he is not kept up to date on the child’s educational status. Many children and custodial parents have stubbornly refused to provide proof of the child’s academic status. They claim that this information is protected under the provisions FERPA. The non-custodial parent then remains in the dark, and he is forced to pay child support and college contribution for a child who may have dropped out of school.

In the Van Brunt case the Ocean County Superior Court held that a college student is legally required to provide proof of college attendance, course credits and grades as a condition of receiving ongoing child support and college contribution. The court further held that this legal obligation does not violate the student’s rights to privacy or the provisions of FERPA. The court also opined that the custodial parent has a responsibility and a legal obligation to make sure that the non-custodial parent is provided with ongoing proof of the student’s college enrollment, course credits and grades.

In summary, a college student has a legal right to privacy as it relates to his/her college records. There is federal law which provides that students over 18 are entitled to certain privacy rights. These privacy laws have not been overturned. It is important to emphasize that the provisions of FERPA have not been repealed or changed. It is black letter law that colleges can’t release student records to third persons without the student’s written authorization, or in certain other very limited circumstances. Nonetheless, a parent who is legally required to pay child support or for college, has a clear legal right to receive ongoing verification of proof of enrollment, and a copy of the child’s grades/transcript. The payor parent is legally entitled to receive this information so as to determine whether the child remains unemancipated.

Was this helpful? Like our site & let us know.

Related Articles

Start New Jersey Divorce Start Your New Jersey Online Divorce Today
Easy, Fast and Affordable with a 100% Guarantee.
New Jersey Divorce Find New Jersey Divorce Professionals in Your Area:
Join the Network
New Jersey Divorce Products, Services and Solutions New Jersey Divorce Products, Services and Solutions
New Jersey Divorce Resources to Help You Through the Process.
Online Parenting Class New Jersey Mandatory Online Parenting Class
Easy and convenient - complete at your own pace online.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Divorce Bookstore
Over 100 Titles of the Best Books on Divorce & Custody.
Divorce Downloads Divorce Download Center
Instantly Download, Books, Manuals, & Forms.
Divorce Worksheet Free New Jersey Divorce Worksheet & Separation Agreement
Your Guide to Get Organized and Put Everything in Writing.
In order for permanent alimony to be awarded in New Jersey, the marriage must have lasted at least 10 years and one spouse must have become economically dependent on the other. This type of alimony allows the obligee to maintain the lifestyle to which he or she has become accustomed for the duration of the obligor's lifetime (unless the obligee remarries).
Divorce Lawyers & Mediators

Find Professionals

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code:


Start Your Divorce File for a New Jersey Divorce


Settle Your Divorce Negotiate Your New Jersey Divorce


Support Forum New Jersey Support Forum

Guarantee Official PayPal Seal Facebook Twitter Versign Secure Site