New Jersey Info

New Jersey Divorce Start Your Divorce Find Professionals New Jersey Articles Divorce Facts Divorce Grounds Residency Divorce Laws Mediation/Counseling Divorce Process Legal Separation Annulments Property Division Alimony Child Custody Child Support Divorce Forms Process Service Grandparent Rights Forum New Jersey Products Divorce by County

New Jersey Articles

Agreements Attorney Relationship Custody & Visitation Child Support Collaborative Law Counseling Divorce/General Domestic Abuse Domestic Partnership Financial Planning Foreign Divorce Mediation Parenting Property Division Spousal Support SEE ALL

Info Categories

Contemplating Divorce Children & Divorce Divorce, Dollars & Debt Divorce Laws Divorce Process Divorce Negotiation SEE ALL

More Information

Articles Checklists Research Center Cases of Interest Dictionary Encyclopedia Encyclopedia (pop-up) Blogs

For Professionals

Advertise With Us Free Network Page Join Our Network Submit Articles Sign In

Network Sites

New Jersey Divorce Support New Jersey Divorce Online

Increasing Support Based on Increased Earnings, Financial Windfalls and a Parent’s "Good Fortune"
My former husband is making boatloads of money now…

During our marriage he was only making modest money because he was too busy "chasing skirts." Can I take him back into court and request an increase in my child support and alimony payments?

There are endless situations when it may be advisable to file a motion to increase child support or alimony when the payor's circumstances have significantly improved as a result of a financial windfall or substantially increased earnings. The leading case on this issue is Zazzo v. Zazzo, 245 N.J. Super. 124 (App. Div. 1990). Here, the court held that children are entitled to have their "needs" satisfied in accord with the current standard of living of both parents, which may reflect an increase in parental good fortune.

In summary, if your former husband is earning substantial more income since the date when the divorce was put through, then you have a very good chance of obtaining more support. See, Lanza v. Lanza, 268 N.J. Super. 603 (Ch. Div. 1993); (the father's increased post-judgment earnings constituted "good fortune" to which the children were entitled to share.); Isaacson v. Isaacson, 348 N.J. 560 (App. Div. 2002), certif. denied, 174 N.J. 364 (2002).

My former husband recently won a mega-personal injury lawsuit. Can I now file a motion to try to obtain more alimony and child support?

Yes, you certainly has strong grounds to have an increase in your alimony and child support payments. Illustrative is the case of Cleveland v. Cleveland, 249 N.J. Super 96 (App. Div. 1991). Here the defendant-mother filed a motion for an increase in child support because her former husband just received a substantial personal injury lawsuit settlement. The plaintiff-husband argued to the judge that these monies should not be considered for support purposes because they were uniquely personal as compensation for his injuries. The family court disagreed and it held that the plaintiff's income from all sources should be considered for support purposes. Thus, the wife was able to have her support payments increased, and she in effect "got a piece of the action" of the PI lawsuit. Thereafter, the Appellate Division affirmed the case.

I am getting soaked by paying my wife such high child support and alimony payments…

She just recently obtained a rather large inheritance. Can I now file a motion to reduce my child support and alimony on these grounds?

Yes, you have a reasonable case to have your support payments reduced if your wife has now received a substantial inheritance. An interesting case is Stamberg v. Stamberg, 302 N.J. Super. 35 (App. Div. 1997). Here, the court held that the wife's significant inheritance should be considered by the court in connection with a modification of support application. See also, Aronson v. Aronson, 245 N.J. Super. 354 (App. Div. 1991); (a former wife's inheritance must be considered in a motion to reduce support.); Weitzman v. Weitzman, 228 N.J. Super 346 certif. den. 114 N.J. 505 (1989); (father's post-divorce inheritance to be shared with children and mother and it could be used to calculate child support).

Was this helpful? Like our site & let us know.

Related Articles

Start New Jersey Divorce Start Your New Jersey Online Divorce Today
Easy, Fast and Affordable with a 100% Guarantee.
New Jersey Divorce Find New Jersey Divorce Professionals in Your Area:
Join the Network
New Jersey Divorce Products, Services and Solutions New Jersey Divorce Products, Services and Solutions
New Jersey Divorce Resources to Help You Through the Process.
Online Parenting Class New Jersey Mandatory Online Parenting Class
Easy and convenient - complete at your own pace online.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Divorce Bookstore
Over 100 Titles of the Best Books on Divorce & Custody.
Divorce Downloads Divorce Download Center
Instantly Download, Books, Manuals, & Forms.
Divorce Worksheet Free New Jersey Divorce Worksheet & Separation Agreement
Your Guide to Get Organized and Put Everything in Writing.
If the divorce is being filed under one of the seven fault grounds (including extreme cruelty, adultery, abandonment, substance or alcohol addiction, institutionalization, deviant sexual conduct and incarceration), the 18 month separation period, required for a no-fault divorce, is waived. However, each ground for divorce has its own stipulations.
Divorce Lawyers & Mediators

Find Professionals

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code:


Start Your Divorce File for a New Jersey Divorce


Settle Your Divorce Negotiate Your New Jersey Divorce


Support Forum New Jersey Support Forum

Guarantee Official PayPal Seal Facebook Twitter Versign Secure Site