New Jersey Info

New Jersey Divorce Start Your Divorce Find Professionals New Jersey Articles Divorce Facts Divorce Grounds Residency Divorce Laws Mediation/Counseling Divorce Process Legal Separation Annulments Property Division Alimony Child Custody Child Support Divorce Forms Process Service Grandparent Rights Forum New Jersey Products Divorce by County

New Jersey Articles

Agreements Attorney Relationship Custody & Visitation Child Support Collaborative Law Counseling Divorce/General Domestic Abuse Domestic Partnership Financial Planning Foreign Divorce Mediation Parenting Property Division Spousal Support SEE ALL

Info Categories

Contemplating Divorce Children & Divorce Divorce, Dollars & Debt Divorce Laws Divorce Process Divorce Negotiation SEE ALL

More Information

Articles Checklists Research Center Cases of Interest Dictionary Encyclopedia Encyclopedia (pop-up) Blogs

For Professionals

Advertise With Us Free Network Page Join Our Network Submit Articles Sign In

Network Sites

New Jersey Divorce Support New Jersey Divorce Online

When Should You File a Motion for College Contribution?

Any motion for college contribution should be filed before your child starts college. This is a "no brainer." In the recent seminal case of Gac v. Gac, 186 N.J. 535 (2006), the noncustodial parent was not consulted as to the selection of a college, or as to how the college would be paid for. The noncustodial parent, only sought reimbursement after the child graduated from college. The New Jersey Supreme Court held that at the very least, the noncustodial parent must have notice before the expenses to pay for college are incurred.

Any college contribution motion should be filed immediately once the child has received his acceptance letters and any financial aid award. I strongly suggest that any motion for college contribution should be filed in January or February before the child graduates from high school. For all practical purposes, any college contribution motion should be filed no later than the beginning of May. By the month of May, even if the child has not received all of his acceptance letters, the custodial parent should have the majority of the information necessary to submit a complete college contribution motion.

The courts almost always will allow the submission of additional information as it becomes available. For example, a child may have been accepted to college as of January 1, but has not received a complete financial aid award until a much later date. Once the financial aid package becomes, then this information can be presented by way of a supplemental certification, or exchanged during discovery.

It is a major mistake to wait until the summer such as until July or August to file your motion. If you file your motion too late, then there is a good chance that your child may not be able to attend his first class because the motion has not been ruled on yet. Moreover, keep in mind that the courts are slower in the summer. Most judges take their vacations in the summer. There is a strong tendency that motions drag on in the summer time because of the judge's and opposing lawyers vacation schedules. In summary, the timing of filing a college contribution motion is critical. If you file it too late, then your child may miss the first semester of his college. Thus, he may wind up going to Middlesex County Community College or to any other local community college.

Was this helpful? Like our site & let us know.

Related Articles

Start New Jersey Divorce Start Your New Jersey Online Divorce Today
Easy, Fast and Affordable with a 100% Guarantee.
New Jersey Divorce Find New Jersey Divorce Professionals in Your Area:
Join the Network
New Jersey Divorce Products, Services and Solutions New Jersey Divorce Products, Services and Solutions
New Jersey Divorce Resources to Help You Through the Process.
Online Parenting Class New Jersey Mandatory Online Parenting Class
Easy and convenient - complete at your own pace online.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Divorce Bookstore
Over 100 Titles of the Best Books on Divorce & Custody.
Divorce Downloads Divorce Download Center
Instantly Download, Books, Manuals, & Forms.
Divorce Worksheet Free New Jersey Divorce Worksheet & Separation Agreement
Your Guide to Get Organized and Put Everything in Writing.
In New Jersey, a separation agreement is any legal document signed by both spouses outlining the terms of the separation. Subjects resolved in a separation agreement can include child support, child custody, debt allocation and asset distribution. Notarizing the document ensures its validity, since there is no such case-type in New Jersey that provides for a "legal separation." Spouses wanting child support during the separation period, however, must file a claim with the New Jersey probation department.
Divorce Lawyers & Mediators

Find Professionals

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code:


Start Your Divorce File for a New Jersey Divorce


Settle Your Divorce Negotiate Your New Jersey Divorce


Support Forum New Jersey Support Forum

Guarantee Official PayPal Seal Facebook Twitter Versign Secure Site
Limited Offer Women's Rights Manual For Divorce
Cover Price: $55.95
Your Price: $29.95
You Save: $26.00

"The Absolute Best Investment in Your Divorce"

Men's Rights Manual For Divorce
Cover Price: $55.95
Your Price: $29.95
You Save: $26.00

"Uncover Your Options and Unleash Solutions"