New York Info

New York Divorce Start Your Divorce Find Professionals New York Articles Divorce Facts Divorce Grounds Residency Divorce Laws Mediation/Counseling Divorce Process Legal Separation Annulments Property Division Alimony Child Custody Child Support Divorce Forms Process Service Grandparent Rights Forum New York Products Divorce by County

New York Articles

Agreements Custody & Visitation Child Support Counseling Divorce/General Domestic Abuse Financial Planning Foreign Divorce Mediation Parenting Property Division Spousal Support SEE ALL

Info Categories

Contemplating Divorce Children & Divorce Divorce, Dollars & Debt Divorce Laws Divorce Process Divorce Negotiation SEE ALL

More Information

Articles Checklists Research Center Cases of Interest Dictionary Encyclopedia Encyclopedia (pop-up) Blogs

For Professionals

Advertise With Us Free Network Page Join Our Network Submit Articles Sign In

Network Sites

New York Divorce Support New York Divorce Online

Changing Court Orders or Judgments
"I disagree with the decision the court made in my divorce. Can I modify my judgment of divorce?"

"I missed my child support court date and the case went to trial without me. Can I appeal?"

"I settled my divorce case but think I made a mistake. What can I do?"

"I forgot to show the court a very important fact in my custody case. Can I file for a modification?"

"My visitation order has the parties mixed up. How do I correct this mistake?"

Divorce and family law in New York is confusing enough, but very often parties to a divorce get bogged down in procedural issues. Questions such as the above are commonly asked by litigants who for whatever reason, are unhappy with a court order and seek to change it. There are numerous ways to change an order, but not every way is appropriate for every type of court decision. In order to understand which option applies to a particular order, it is necessary to understand how orders are determined.

Types of Orders or Judgments

An order or judgment after a trial when both sides participated

In this case, both sides are present during the trial, testify, call witnesses on their behalf, and present whatever evidence they believe will prove their side of the case. After both sides have made their arguments, the court will render the final decision.

An order or judgment on a default, or an order dismissing a case for failure to appear.

In this case, only one side is present and the court proceeds to trial with one side missing. If the plaintiff fails to appear, the court can dismiss the case. If the defendant fails to appear, the court will hold a one sided trial, called an inquest. Usually, plaintiffs will win these cases since there no defense is presented.

An order or judgment by means of a settlement.

In this case, both sides are present, but instead of having the court make the decision, the parties agree to resolve the case on mutually agreed upon terms.

Means of Changing Orders or Judgments

1. Appeal

An appeal is available only from orders or judgments following a trial where both sides appeared. An appeal is by definition an argument to a higher court that the trial court made a mistake, either in deciding a disputed fact, or in applying the law. Therefore, no new facts may be introduced during an appeal; appellate review is limited to the record made during trial. The appellate court will determine if mistakes were made during the trial, and if so, whether or not these mistakes would have affected the outcome of the trial. The procedure for an appeal is complex, and different rules apply for each of the four departments.


Mistake of fact - During a child support hearing, both the mother and the father testified they have two children, but the court basis child support on three children.

Mistake of law - During a divorce, the plaintiff alleges irreconcilable differences and the court grants the divorce. Since New York does not recognize irreconcilable differences as a ground for divorce, the court made an error in applying the existing law.

2. Modification

A modification does not seek to change an old order. Instead, it seeks a new order based on a new set of circumstances which occurred since the original order was issued.

3. Motion to vacate default or vacate dismissal

If one party does not appear for a trial and wishes to challenge any order resulting from that default, the remedy is to bring a motion to vacate the default. A motion to vacate a default must show two elements, (a) excusable default in missing the trial, and (b) a meritorious defense or cause of action.

There is no appeal from a default order. However, an order resulting from a motion to vacate a default can be appealed.

4. Motion to reargue

A motion to reargue is similar to an appeal, in that it is an argument that the trial court made a mistake. It differs from an appeal in that it is made before the same judge which heard the case at trial. Needless to say, most motions to reargue are denied. There is no appeal from a decision denying reargument, and the motion to reargue does not extend the time to appeal the original order. Since a motion to reargue alleges the court made a mistake, this remedy is available only after a trial at which both sides were present.

5. Motion to renew

A motion to renew is similar to a motion to reargue in that it is heard by the same judge who heard the case at trial. A motion to renew alleges that a new fact exists which was not presented to the court at trial. In order to prevail, there must generally be a compelling reason why this new evidence was not originally presented, and that this evidence would have resulted in a different decision. Like a motion to reargue, a motion to renew may only be brought after a trial at which both sides were present.

6. Vacating a consent order

To vacate a consent order, the party seeking to vacate the order must bring a motion before the court where the case was heard. In order to prevail, the party must show that the consent order was arrived at by fraud, duress, undue influence, or some other extreme fact.

There is no appeal from a consent order. However, an order resulting from a motion to vacate a consent order may be appealed.

7. Resettling an order

Settling an order has nothing to do with settling a case. Settling an order should be read to mean the signing of an order by a judge. Sometimes a judge will write his or her own orders. More often, a judge will write a decision, or there will be a stipulation of settlement, either in writing or read into the record in open court. In these instances, one side will prepare an order for the judge to sign, giving the other side notice of the proposed order. This order must mirror the courts decision or the agreement between the parties. This is known as settling an order.

If an existing order has a mistake, such as an incorrect name, an arithmetic mistake, or some other ministerial error, the proper remedy is to submit a new order for resettlement (i.e. resigning). Usually, resettlement is done by way of motion.

Was this helpful? Like our site & let us know.

Related Articles

Start New York Divorce Start Your New York Online Divorce Today
Easy, Fast and Affordable with a 100% Guarantee.
New York Divorce Find New York Divorce Professionals in Your Area:
Join the Network
New York Divorce Products, Services and Solutions New York Divorce Products, Services and Solutions
New York Divorce Resources to Help You Through the Process.
Online Parenting Class New York Mandatory Online Parenting Class
Easy and convenient - complete at your own pace online.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Divorce Bookstore
Over 100 Titles of the Best Books on Divorce & Custody.
Divorce Downloads Divorce Download Center
Instantly Download, Books, Manuals, & Forms.
Divorce Worksheet Free New York Divorce Worksheet & Separation Agreement
Your Guide to Get Organized and Put Everything in Writing.
New York is an equitable distribution state which means that in a New York divorce the court divides marital property equitably between the parties, unless a written settlement agreement is achieved. All property in the divorce case is either separate property owned by the individual, or marital property owned by the married couple.
Divorce Lawyers & Mediators

Find Professionals

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code:


Start Your Divorce File for a New York Divorce


Settle Your Divorce Negotiate Your New York Divorce


Support Forum New York Support Forum

Guarantee Official PayPal Seal Facebook Twitter Versign Secure Site