North Carolina Info

North Carolina Divorce Start Your Divorce Find Professionals North Carolina Articles Divorce Facts Divorce Grounds Residency Divorce Laws Mediation/Counseling Divorce Process Legal Separation Annulments Property Division Alimony Child Custody Child Support Divorce Forms Process Service Grandparent Rights Forum North Carolina Products Divorce by County

STATE Articles

Agreements Attorney Relationship Custody & Visitation Child Support Counseling Divorce/General Domestic Abuse Mediation Property Division Spousal Support SEE ALL

Info Categories

Contemplating Divorce Children & Divorce Divorce, Dollars & Debt Divorce Laws Divorce Process Divorce Negotiation SEE ALL

More Information

Articles Checklists Research Center Cases of Interest Dictionary Encyclopedia Encyclopedia (pop-up) Blogs

For Professionals

Advertise With Us Free Network Page Join Our Network Submit Articles Sign In

Network Sites

North Carolina Divorce Support North Carolina Divorce Online

Domestic Violence FAQs
What should I do if my spouse is violent?

Call the police, if necessary, and when you are safe, contact the domestic violence relief agency in your county. They will give you advice and, if necessary, direct you to a safe shelter.

In many circumstances involving domestic violence it is possible to obtain a court order without the typical notice requirements. You may be able to obtain an order that will provide you with possession of the marital residence and automobile temporary custody of your children; the order may also provide that your spouse must stay away from you and the children. If your spouse violates such an order he or she will be arrested. Domestic violence orders are available in certain circumstances when your spouse, former spouse or a person of the opposite sex with whom you live attempts to cause bodily injury, or intentionally causes bodily injury or places you in fear of imminent serious bodily injury by the threat of force.

Is emotional support available?

Emotional support is available and absolutely essential to everyone involved in the dissolution of a marriage. There are numerous private mental health providers including psychologists, psychiatrists, clinical social workers, and other counselors. Many of these individuals are in private practice and others work for non-profit agencies and for the government. Many agencies will provide counseling at a fee based upon your income.

Can I just leave the house and not come back?

You can leave the house and not come back and you may take the children with you unless a court order directs you otherwise. It may be inadvisable for you to leave the house without talking to an attorney. Leaving the house without a good reason may effect your alimony situation. If you leave the house you may also be unable to return until after a court divides the property. This process will take considerable time and you may not end up with possession of the house after the property has been divided. The best advice is to stay in the house until after you discuss the matter with a lawyer unless your spouse is violent. If your spouse is violent you must take all steps necessary to protect your safety and the safety of your children.

Was this helpful? Like our site & let us know.

Related Articles

Start North Carolina Divorce Start Your North Carolina Online Divorce Today
Easy, Fast and Affordable with a 100% Guarantee.
North Carolina Divorce Find North Carolina Divorce Professionals in Your Area:
Join the Network
North Carolina Divorce Products, Services and Solutions North Carolina Divorce Products, Services and Solutions
North Carolina Divorce Resources to Help You Through the Process.
Online Parenting Class North Carolina Mandatory Online Parenting Class
Easy and convenient - complete at your own pace online.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Divorce Bookstore
Over 100 Titles of the Best Books on Divorce & Custody.
Divorce Downloads Divorce Download Center
Instantly Download, Books, Manuals, & Forms.
Divorce Worksheet Free North Carolina Divorce Worksheet & Separation Agreement
Your Guide to Get Organized and Put Everything in Writing.
Either spouse must have been a resident of North Carolina for at least six months before the filing of the complaint. The action is in the county where either party resides.
Divorce Lawyers & Mediators

Find Professionals

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code:


Start Your Divorce File for a North Carolina Divorce


Settle Your Divorce Negotiate Your North Carolina Divorce


Support Forum North Carolina Support Forum

Guarantee Official PayPal Seal Facebook Twitter Versign Secure Site