Oregon Info

Oregon Divorce Start Your Divorce Find Professionals Oregon Articles Divorce Facts Divorce Grounds Residency Divorce Laws Mediation/Counseling Divorce Process Legal Separation Annulments Property Division Alimony Child Custody Child Support Divorce Forms Process Service Grandparent Rights Forum Oregon Products Divorce by County

Oregon Articles

Custody & Visitation Child Support Divorce/General Domestic Abuse Domestic Partnership Grandparent Rights Mediation SEE ALL

Info Categories

Contemplating Divorce Children & Divorce Divorce, Dollars & Debt Divorce Laws Divorce Process Divorce Negotiation SEE ALL

More Information

Articles Checklists Research Center Cases of Interest Dictionary Encyclopedia Encyclopedia (pop-up) Blogs

For Professionals

Advertise With Us Free Network Page Join Our Network Submit Articles Sign In

Network Sites

Oregon Divorce Support Oregon Divorce Online

Juvenile Court Proceedings
A.Authority: ORS 419B. 115 (dependency); ORS 419C.285 (delinquency, criminal--dispositional stage only)


The State of Oregon may obtain legal custody of a child if the child commits an act which would be a crime of they were adult, or if the child is subject to abuse, neglect, or abandonment by the parent or custodian. The state may also obtain custody of run-aways. When the state obtains custody, it almost always places the child with State Office for Services to Children and Families (SCF, formerly CSD), although it does have authority to place the child with a grandparent, blood relative or other appropriate person. SCF, by statute, must now take reasonable efforts to give notice to relatives and to favor relative placements over stranger placements. However, in the past this preference has often been ignored. Sometimes no contact is made with the extended family. Other times, SCF has a built-in prejudice against extended family because they fear the extended family will take the side of the former custodial parent and interfere with their efforts.

C.Relief Available

Juvenile Court proceedings are usually open to the public, particularly in noncriminal matters. See Section IV above for rights of intervention and limited participation by psychological parents. Apart from those rights, the court is not required to hear from an extended family member unless he or she is called as a witness by the state (through SCF) or a party (mother, father or the child--through their attorneys). Persons interested in obtaining or maintaining their relationship with a child in the custody of the state should stay in close contact with the following individuals:

1.SCF caseworker (consult phonebook for branch office nearest your home)

2.Juvenile Court counselor (Multnomah County): 248-3460

3.Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA)--(In Multnomah County: 253- CASA) an advocate appointed by the court to look after the best interests of the child and report information to the court. Check with the Juvenile Court counselor for the name of the CASA, if one exists.

4.Child's attorney--a court may, but is not required to appoint an attorney for the child. Again, check with the court, through the Juvenile Court counselor, for the name of the attorney.

5.Attorneys for mother and father--again, check with the court to get in contact with mother or father's attorney.

6.Citizens Review Boards (CRBs)--CRBs are volunteer panels established under state law assigned to review SCIF cases approximately every six months. CRBs are volunteer citizens. While they do not participate directly in Juvenile Court proceedings, they prepare reports and make recommendations regarding whether SCIF is on track in its placement and whether the child needs or is receiving appropriate representation from the CASA or attorney. Multnomah County CRB: 731-3007.

D.Guardianship Without Termination of Parental Rights

Under a 1995 law, the Juvenile Court may appoint a permanent guardian for a child as an alternative to a formal termination of parental rights. ORS 419.521(2). Although parental rights would not be terminated, the parent could never have physical custody restored. The terms of contact between the child and the parent would be up to the Court and the guardian. (See also Section V.D on page 6 re: effects of adoption and termination of parental rights.)

E.Special Concerns

    1 .You may want to hire your own attorney to intervene in the Juvenile Court proceeding, so that you can be formally heard by the court. See Section IV below for rights of intervention and limited participation by psychological parents.

    2.If you do not believe the child's interests are being adequately represented, you may ask the court, through the Juvenile Court counselor, to appoint an attorney for the child.

    3.It is important in Juvenile Court that your primary goal be the best interests of the child. The court, and particularly SCF, are extremely wary where an extended family member strongly takes the position of the parent who has lost custody. In such a case, SCF feels that the extended family member is interfering with their attempts to rehabilitate the parent, and SCF fears that the extended family member may not be able to protect the child. In some cases, it may be appropriate to strongly advocate the position of the parent who has lost custody. In other cases, it may be more appropriate to give emotional (and sometimes financial) support to the parent, without "taking their side."

    4.The state provides a foster care subsidy to children placed with strangers, but in many cases denies that subsidy to children placed with extended family members. An extended family member who receives physical custody of the child should make every effort to seek any foster care subsidy which may be available (ADC--welfare; Title IVE).

Was this helpful? Like our site & let us know.

Related Articles

Start Oregon Divorce Start Your Oregon Online Divorce Today
Easy, Fast and Affordable with a 100% Guarantee.
Oregon Divorce Find Oregon Divorce Professionals in Your Area:
Join the Network
Oregon Divorce Products, Services and Solutions Oregon Divorce Products, Services and Solutions
Oregon Divorce Resources to Help You Through the Process.
Online Parenting Class Oregon Mandatory Online Parenting Class
Easy and convenient - complete at your own pace online.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Divorce Bookstore
Over 100 Titles of the Best Books on Divorce & Custody.
Divorce Downloads Divorce Download Center
Instantly Download, Books, Manuals, & Forms.
Divorce Worksheet Free Oregon Divorce Worksheet & Separation Agreement
Your Guide to Get Organized and Put Everything in Writing.
In determining the amount of alimony, the Oregon court considers the duration of the marriage, the recipient's education, current skills and previous employment experience, the financial needs and resources available for each party, the tax consequences of paying or receiving alimony, and the financial responsibility for children. The court may consider other factors deemed relevant to make a ruling on support that it considers just and equitable.
Divorce Lawyers & Mediators

Find Professionals

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code:


Start Your Divorce File for an Oregon Divorce


Settle Your Divorce Negotiate Your Oregon Divorce


Support Forum Oregon Support Forum

Guarantee Official PayPal Seal Facebook Twitter Versign Secure Site