Not Able to Make Child Support Payments

Posted by: Terrapin

Not Able to Make Child Support Payments - 01/19/16 05:19 PM

Hello. I am effectively self-employed. So I send a check each month to the clearinghouse instead of having money deducted from a paycheck.

From time to time due to the nature of my field, my income takes a sudden dive (it also can rise just of precipitously from time to time). It looks like January and February will be especially bad this year. I simply cannot afford to send the support payments in. I have been perfectly current up to this point and I'd like to find a legitimate way to handle this problem. I accept my obligation and I am not a deadbeat parent.

So I call the Clerk of the Court for advice, and all they can tell me is to petition the judge. This seems like overkill. I just need a some temporary forbearance, not a [censored] child support revision. So if anyone with more experience/expertise has any constructive suggestions, I would much appreciate hearing them. Thanks.

Posted by: MinnesotaMom

Re: Not Able to Make Child Support Payments - 01/19/16 05:34 PM

Your best bet is to send something in each month, otherwise the courts will charge you with contempt of court once your payment is 30 days late. Forbearances are not allowed under any circumstances without a court order, thus the advice from CSE.
Posted by: TJMH

Re: Not Able to Make Child Support Payments - 01/19/16 06:27 PM

I have no experience with this but I have to wonder how quickly the authorities would act. If you paid what you could and were short in Jan/Feb but had the arrears cleared up by say Apr/May, seems to me you might be OK (legally wrong, of course, but without consequences). Especially if your ex understands your situation and doesn't make noise.

Given your employment situation going forward it might be better to stash some of the extra money from the fat months so you have one or two months worth of support payments squirreled away for situations like this.