In CA: Avoiding joining/evaluating pension

Posted by: lmcgranahan

In CA: Avoiding joining/evaluating pension - 10/23/15 05:53 PM

I plan to get a default judgement with an agreement. There is so little community interest in my wife's pension (defined benefit plan) that we'd like to avoid having an actuary assign a value to it, or "joining" it to the case. I would love to just sign it over to her in the settlement agreement without ever paying anyone to assess it. Is this possible, or will a judge require that the value be professionally assessed? (If it necessary to list a value in the agreement or in the property disclosure form, could we just estimate it?)

Any help is appreciated. The Self-Help people don't like to touch questions about pensions.

Lucas
Posted by: TJMH

Re: In CA: Avoiding joining/evaluating pension - 10/28/15 09:35 PM

As long as you're doing a stipulated judgment you can probably both just agree that the pension is her separate property and I don't think anyone would argue with you about it.
Posted by: ukdeedpoll

Re: In CA: Avoiding joining/evaluating pension - 07/11/16 09:25 PM

Do you mind if I quote a couple of your posts as long as I provide credit and sources back to your website? My blog is in the very same niche as yours and my visitors would genuinely benefit from a lot of the information you provide here. Please let me know if this okay with you. Thank you!
Posted by: TJMH

Re: In CA: Avoiding joining/evaluating pension - 07/12/16 12:15 PM

Who exactly are you asking? If it's me, I'm just a poster here and have no problem with being quoted elsewhere but be advised that I have no special qualifications or knowledge other than my own experience. If it's the site owners it's my experience that this forum is more or less unmoderated so I don't know if they'll see or respond to a reply on a random thread. Maybe use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page.