Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#1021 - 07/27/04 02:12 PM who decides child support
Freedom27 Offline
recently joined

Loc: Ohio
We had agreed on an amount for child support. Now people are telling my husband that we can't do that. We are doing our paper work on the internet. People are telling him that after the divorce is final we will be served to go to court and then they will decide on child support. Can't we just include that in our divorce papers if we agree. Is 150.00 a week to much for one child. He brings home 1400.00 a month and I have been a stay at home mom. I will need to go back to school to get any kind of job. My daughter is 3 and will need some daycare.

#1022 - 07/27/04 03:26 PM Re: who decides child support [Re: Freedom27]
Gecko Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Third rock from the sun
We had agreed on an amount for child support. Now people are telling my husband that we can't do that.

---> Tell your husband that “people” are wrong. The courts don’t have a problem with people making their own decisions so long as it is fair. I’ve been involved with many consent decrees/orders and I have yet to see a Judge change the amount.

We are doing our paper work on the internet.

---> Are you using forms supplied from your local court or are you using genernic forms? I only ask this because if you are using genernic forms, you want to make sure they meet the standards of the court and have the proper headings. If you have any questions, you can always PM me.

People are telling him that after the divorce is final we will be served to go to court and then they will decide on child support. Can't we just include that in our divorce papers if we agree.

---> That is not true. So long as all your paperwork is in order, there is no need for a court appearance.

Is 150.00 a week too much for one child. He brings home 1400.00 a month and I have been a stay at home mom. I will need to go back to school to get any kind of job.

---> Yes it is. That works out to $650 a month, which means he is only being left with $750 to live on and that’s not a whole lot. You actually stand a good chance with this amount of the courts not agreeing since it is not “fair”. What state are you in? How long were you married? How long were you a SAHM?

#1023 - 07/27/04 09:01 PM You and your ex can decide it [Re: Freedom27]
Melody Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: California
and if you both agree and the judge views it as reasonable and fair, he will make it an official order. If you aren't able to agree, the judge will follow the laws of your state and calculate CS based upon the formula used for your state. You might want to look at the following website to get an idea of what 'ballpark' support would be in your situation. Try: www.alllaw.com/calculators/childsupport

If the amount you are discussing is close to what comes out of the calculator, then you can be comfortable that it is a fair amount.

#1024 - 07/28/04 02:01 AM Re: who decides child support [Re: Gecko]
Freedom27 Offline
recently joined

Loc: Ohio
I'm sorry I meant 1600.00 every two weeks. I've stayed home since she was born. We have been together 9 years but only married for 4 years.

Edited by Freedom27 (07/28/04 02:17 AM)

#1025 - 07/28/04 04:48 AM Re: who decides child support [Re: Freedom27]
Gecko Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Third rock from the sun
Then the $150 a week is fair. That's just under 20% of his net.

#1026 - 07/28/04 06:19 AM Doesn't that depend upon the state? [Re: Gecko]
Melody Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

I get more than 20% of my ex's net.

#1027 - 07/28/04 07:27 AM Then perhaps you should... [Re: Melody]
gr8Dad Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

...seek a voluntary decrease, to be fair.

#1028 - 07/29/04 06:31 AM Fair to whom? [Re: gr8Dad]
Melody Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

I already voluntarily lowered it below the guidelines of my state.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: