Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#104741 - 04/29/06 06:00 AM ALIMONY vs RETIREMENT vs NEW JOB
mlcell Offline
recently joined

FACTS:
1) Ex gets Alimony until death, new marriage, or if ordered by court; 2) she didn't work during marriage, but divorce papers clearly declare a "Gavron Warning" to both parties to obtain work and maintain income; 3) I do not know if EX has obtained work since divorce but hear she may have done so; 4) she's been getting Alimony now for about 3 years when divorce was final; 5) my retirement plan from government job of 30 years was split as mandated by court papers; 6) I am 55 and eligible to draw retirement now; 7) EX will receive her half when I retire, a figure that will be double that of the alimony amount; 8) I want to draw the retirement now and undertake a new job at approximately the same money; 9) My new income will be the sum of my retirement I receive plus the new job income .

QUESTIONS:
1) What will happen to EX's alimony when she receives the retirement funds?; 2) Can I stop paying the alimony since the retirement funds will meet or exceed the alimony? 3) Since a Gavron Warning was stipulated, can this play any role at this point?

I want to take on this new job opportunity, but need to understand the financial impact this will have concerning the EX. Please advise. NOTE: This is in California

#104742 - 05/08/06 03:03 PM Re: ALIMONY vs RETIREMENT vs NEW JOB [Re: mlcell]
joan Offline
enthusiast

It really sounds like you will need a lawyer on this one. It would make sense that if you are splitting your retirement 50/50 and that is your only income that you would not have to additionally pay SS from your 50%. But you will have to go back to court to get that changed.

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: