Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#10627 - 03/16/05 02:32 AM Georgia modification of custody
Mickey Offline
recently joined

I am previously divorced from way back around 1993. I agreed to my ex wife's proposal of custody and allowed my ex to have custody of my daughter. I seriously regret this, but did not have the money at the time to fight. My daughter is now 13 and my ex has remarried. My daughter is being treated horribly by her step father and mother teaming with him. DFCS has even visited their home. I am also remarried now. My daughter wants so very badly to come live with me now and I want her to come live with me.
How is the law in Georgia regarding allowing a 13/14 year old to decide to come live with the other parent. I have heard that they can decide at the age of 12 but want to know if this is fairly cut and dry in Georgia and what my chances of winning will be. I hope someone can help me.

Thanks

#10628 - 03/17/05 03:57 PM Re: Georgia modification of custody [Re: Mickey]
busymom Offline

Loc: Georgia
From what I understand, Georgia is the only state that gives the child a choice at age 14. Of course, all situations would be considered, and the judge still has final say on what is in the best interest of the child, etc...

Good Luck.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: