Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#11229 - 03/29/05 04:31 PM Filing for divorce while spouse is overseas
FreeB Offline
recently joined

I just got hit with an early return of dependents....returning to the states(now in Michigan, prior GA resident, spouse's home of record is PA)....have two minor children with me. We could not agree on a separation agreement, and now it seems I have to establish residency to file. WHat are the entitlements of the military member, as I understand, from reading some of the state laws, he also would have to live here for the residency period to file(he has 2 more years overseas). I wanted to get it over with, but now it seems I may have to wait. I am also not planning to stay in Michigan. Advice welcome, especially dealing with Michigan law.

#11230 - 05/13/05 03:27 PM Re: Filing for divorce while spouse is overseas [Re: FreeB]
ZeeBabester Offline
journeyman

Loc: CT, by the shore, with my hub...
Where are you planning to make your final home?? Moving around too much will be seen as being unstable by a court and your spouse can use that against you. Get yourself firmly settled, get the kids in school, get a yourself a job or enrolled in school (or both), to show that you are getting your life together, and can provide a safe and stable home for your kids. Your spouse has to provide you with support (his BAH is given him specifically for that), you may need a court order for CS and SS, this is simple and residency doesn't matter for that.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: