Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Page 2 of 25 < 1 2 3 4 24 25 >
Topic Options
#114607 - 06/10/06 03:43 PM Well, since... [Re: Melody]
gr8Dad Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

...you can get a MORTGAGE, and you don't have to buy it RIGHT OUT, maybe he is contemplating investing some "sweat equity".

You know, I have watched the posts over the last few months against myangels, and I have to say that there are a lot of people on here who complain about their ex's not seeing the kids, about the ex not paying support, about the ex not getting anything for the kids, about the ex not feeding the kids properly.

Well, here you have a guy who DOES all of those things, REGULARLY, yet you are harping on him because he makes his ex, who is the CP, do HER responsibilities, but is STILL going above and beyond what the court orders for him as the NCP.

While I have NO doubt that there will ALWAYS be deadbeat parents, both male and female, one has to wonder if SOME deadbeats are CREATED by piss poor attitudes such as this. The idea that you CANNOT do enough for SOME people to say, "Hey, good job..."

#114608 - 06/10/06 03:51 PM Re: And with that sort of ready cash [Re: StrayAngel]
youngatheart Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

It is based upon the likelyhood of what you would have spent on the child if you were married. The problem with the word "likelyhood" is that it isn't specific, it is general. The premise is that the more money you make/have at your disposal, the more money you will spend upon your child's lifestyle.

For example, at my $25K a year, I spend MUCH less on my children than the Hilton's spend/spent on their children. While the Hilton children could have survived with what I provide for my children, it isn't LIKELY to happen at their parent's income(s).

#114609 - 06/10/06 04:05 PM Re: IS this calculated.. [Re: myangels]
Gecko Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Third rock from the sun
Unless you can show that it was your wife's money that paid for the acquision of the building AND that you receive NO benefit from the rent money collected, then no, it would not be included in child support. BUT, since you are living in one of the units "rent free", at least 50% of what the anticipated value of the rent for that unit would be included.

#114610 - 06/10/06 04:56 PM Re: And with that sort of ready cash [Re: youngatheart]
StrayAngel Offline
journeyman

While I understand the premise - I still do not agree with it. I have never expected and never will go after anything extra from that my ex-husband has or would earn - over and above NEEDS of our children. Due to the fact that I am an able-bodied, reasonably intelligent person - it is just as much my responsibility as his. If he and his new wife are capable of building a new house due to their own extra effort, that's wonderful - just gives our children a nicer place to stay when they're with them. His working overtime does not increase the financial needs of our children and therefore should not be taken into consideration.

Additionally, in the case of a settlement or significant inheritance, wouldn't it be expected that rather than spending it as it comes in, that the money be put away either for college for the children or for a rainy day? In the case of a friend at work, her husband came into an inheritance of slightly over 250K. CSE grabbed 1/3 of the total (not the part left over after taxes and lawyers) within 2 weeks (about 90K) and handed it over to his ex-wife. Rather than banking the windfall which would have made a significant contribution to the children's college funds, she's enjoying new furniture which the children are not allowed to sit upon. My friend and her husband have put 1/2 of what was left away towards retirement and the children's schooling and paid towards their mortgage with the balance - as most people would do.

*edited to correct typo*

#114611 - 06/10/06 05:10 PM Re: And with that sort of ready cash [Re: StrayAngel]
youngatheart Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

That's great, if you want to look at it that way. However, some people don't. Further, different people view the child's "needs" as different things. Some people view it as the bare necessities of feeding and clothing and housing a child (food staples only, thrift store clothing, and a one bedroom apartment with CP on the couch). Some people view it as what the child would be provided with in an intact family. Some people view it as something in the middle.

#114612 - 06/10/06 05:17 PM Re: And with that sort of ready cash [Re: youngatheart]
StrayAngel Offline
journeyman

I look at it that way because I am a mature adult. Further, I know many people who agree with this point of view. Unfortunately, I also know people at the other end of the spectrum. They feel entitled to and go after anything and everything they can possibly get - whether its needed or not, simply for the "thrill" of getting it.

#114613 - 06/10/06 05:18 PM Re: And with that sort of ready cash [Re: StrayAngel]
youngatheart Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

IC...so only people who agree with you are right, and anyone else is just greedy for the "thrill" of it?

#114614 - 06/10/06 05:20 PM Re: And with that sort of ready cash [Re: youngatheart]
StrayAngel Offline
journeyman

Well, I shouldve expected that. Actually, I was referring to individuals I personally know, who've actually stated such things - they go after more and more simply because it's there and they dont want the ex to have it.

Edited by StrayAngel (06/10/06 05:21 PM)

#114615 - 06/10/06 05:22 PM Re: And with that sort of ready cash [Re: StrayAngel]
youngatheart Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

hmmm, I can honestly say that I have never seen that from anyone I know.

#114616 - 06/10/06 05:23 PM Re: And with that sort of ready cash [Re: StrayAngel]
Dee78 Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: TN
Um, you might want to recheck your math. 1/3 of $250,000 would be $83,333, so he was lucky if that's all they took.

I don't expect my ex to pay much, just the court ordered amount which is low but sufficient right now. He is ordered to provide insurance but he doesn't. He is ordered to pay for half of medical but I've never enforced it.

Page 2 of 25 < 1 2 3 4 24 25 >

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: