Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#114908 - 06/11/06 01:31 AM Joint custody...
AndreaF Offline
enthusiast

What are your thoughts on child support when there is joint custody involved.We share joint legal custody for child with BM and she is complaining now that my fiance is not paying enough!!We have the child just as much as she does so i honestly do not see how she can complain.

#114909 - 06/11/06 01:49 AM Re: Joint custody... [Re: AndreaF]
Buckeye Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: OH
Joint legal custody is completely different than joint custody.

Joint legal custody means that both parents are to co-parent about decisions like medical, education and religion.

Joint custody where you actually sharing parenting duties 50/50, normally means no support payments assuming there isn't a big difference in income.

#114910 - 06/11/06 01:58 AM Re: Joint custody... [Re: Buckeye]
AndreaF Offline
enthusiast

Oh we know that my faince should not be paying child support but he is.He does make more than she does though.She recieves welfare and he has a $7.00 an hour job.It isn't much (no amount ever is lol) and is hard on us but i really don't understand how she can complain when she is at least getting something when she really should be getting zip.She is just complaining for something to run her mouth about like always but i really wish she would get over it.

#114911 - 06/11/06 02:02 AM Re: Joint custody... [Re: AndreaF]
Buckeye Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: OH
What is he legally ordered to pay for child support?

#114912 - 06/11/06 02:03 AM Re: Joint custody... [Re: Buckeye]
AndreaF Offline
enthusiast

$350 a month.It isn't much but with what he makes it is more than he can afford you know.We have the child just as much as she does (50/50 custody..it is worded that we have joint legal and joint physical custody) and it is hard taking care of him while he is here and it is so much harder taking care of him while he is there too.I appologize if that didn't sound right.

#114913 - 06/11/06 02:35 AM Re: Joint custody... [Re: AndreaF]
myangels Offline
Pooh-Bah

Andrea, thats more than enough if you guys have split custody.

And I think that with split custody there shouldnt be any CS involved. YOu pay what you have to when the kid is with you and she the same.

#114914 - 06/11/06 02:37 AM Re: Joint custody... [Re: myangels]
AndreaF Offline
enthusiast

We feel the same way but i guess the court does not.

#114915 - 06/11/06 03:25 AM Re: Joint custody... [Re: AndreaF]
almostheaven Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: West Virginia
From the rest of this thread, he's paying what the court orders. As for her complaints, tell her to tell it to the judge or STFU.

#114916 - 06/11/06 06:52 AM Joint legal or joint physical? [Re: AndreaF]
Melody Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: California
Either way....unless the child is with each parent equally (50/50) AND both parents have the same approximate income, then CS would be ordered.

Joint physical simply means both parents have the child with them part of the time...it doesn't necessarily mean 50/50. It could be 20/80, and it's still a share...just not an equal one. Joint legal simply means that both parents have a legal interest in things that affect the child...such as education, medical, religion, etc.

The determination of support is based upon your state. You share joint legal custody, but that has nothing to do with support. Not all states take parenting time into consideration when determining the support. Also, is the time with the child documented in the court orders? For example, if the orders say EOW, but in actuality your H has the child 50/50, then he doesn't legally have the children 50/50.....on paper.

#114917 - 06/11/06 07:09 AM Re: Joint legal or joint physical? [Re: Melody]
AndreaF Offline
enthusiast

Parenting Plan reads (i didn't write all of it but the things i did are more to the point):

Decisions:Major decision,including,but not limited to education,non-emergency medical,dental,and other medical care,religious upbringing,child care providers,and extra-curricular activites shall be shared by parties.

Residential time:At all times the parties shall share physical custody of the parties' infant child by each party having the child for one (1) week alternating periods of time,with each parent to have the child from Wednesday at 5:00 p.m.,until Wednesday the following week at 5:00 p.m.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: