Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Page 18 of 23 < 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 22 23 >
Topic Options
#150981 - 10/05/06 09:50 PM Re: Susan - can you clarify? [Re: Susanf31]
youngatheart Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Susan, are you adjusting the child support when your SS ends?

#150982 - 10/05/06 10:01 PM Re: Susan - can you clarify? [Re: youngatheart]
Susanf31 Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Yes, it's going up about $430 a month.

#150983 - 10/05/06 11:49 PM Re: Susan - can you clarify? [Re: Susanf31]
youngatheart Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Then this should be discussed in the child support orders. If I were you, I would bring it up as a part of those changes.

#150984 - 10/06/06 02:07 AM Re: Susan - can you clarify? [Re: Susanf31]
jsp Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

I have to second Susan's defense. What she paid for a good pair of glasses is actually cheap. I spend $150-400 on frames and $350-400 on the newest high index lenses (which I had to do to go rimless) so mine can easily run $700 per pair and I like seperate glasses and sunglasses. Some brand frames you can get online for 1/2 the price - the Silhouettes my husband and I wear I got the frames online and went to our glasses shop for the lenses just in case there was a problem. One thing not to go cheap on is the frames as good frames can last if stepped on (which I do as I can't see them) or tugged by kids (never had a frame break and I've had kids tugg with a death grip). Even cheap ones are going to be about $400 at a chain glasses store given I need the high index lenses - I could get the lenses slighly cheaper online, but I don't want to mess with that. I wanted a second pair to paint, etc. but it wasn't worth the money at that point.

We wanted to buy my husband's son the frames we have (he was amazed at how light they are) - he takes decent care of his glasses so I wouldn't worry, but his ex refused the offer (we'd/I would have paid for it all).

Our vision plan only reinburses $50 per frame every two years and $50-100 for one set of lenses every year per person. The only reason why we bother with it is that the plan is so cheap through my work that doing the math we save money. I don't know about the exams, but their reinbursement is minimal as we use the military docs.

#150985 - 10/06/06 02:08 AM And you act like... [Re: jsp]
almostheaven Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: West Virginia
every CP who gets large sums of CS doesn't spend it on their kids. Helllloooo...McFly....we weren't talking about CPs not spending CS, or am I in the wrong thread? I thought we were discussing WHY an NCP should not be expected to pay medical expenses as a PERCENTAGE (not just half), just like their CS is figured? For one, that IS how the court sets it. So I'm trying to wrap my mind around why you, and others, think it should be different, and why you think you have a better handle on this system than the courts and lawmakers do. Because I think splitting it by income is a good way to go. Now...you could get into that further. If one parent refuses to use all the CS appropriately or refuses to work to their full potential...then I'd have something different to say about those "individual" cases. But as a whole, ANY NCP who feels they should pay only half of medical KNOWING the CP makes WAAAAAAAAAY less than they do, and KNOWING it would put the CP and child(ren) in the poorhouse...that's not a parent. That's an a$$.

#150986 - 10/06/06 02:11 AM Re: I feel bad for her ex... [Re: jsp]
almostheaven Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Nothing is equal in life. You choose to have children, you choose to raise your children and now you have to make sacrifices to pay for those children. If you wanted things equal or a comfortable lifestyle that you were able to have during marriage, you should have stayed with him (not to say cheating is ok or to tolorate it or what ever the reason for divorce was), but you are expecting things to stay the same and reality is it cannot and will not.&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;

Oh I get it. It's not equal. HE didn't choose to have children, HE didn't choose to have her raise them, HE didn't choose to make sacrifices by possibly having his wife stay home and not pursue a career while he worked hard at his - knowing in the event of a divorce, he'd foot the larger share financially, and HE never causes the breakup of the marriage. Thanks for clarifying.

#150987 - 10/06/06 02:15 AM Re: And you act like... [Re: almostheaven]
jsp Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

If a CP gets child support that is set by the standard, they should pay all expenses while that child is in their home. Or, don't do child support and share all expenses. Why do incomes have to be equal??? If one parent makes less and feels they are entitled to more - GET A JOB or get a better job. At some point enough is enough. If a CP wants to soley dictate how child support is spent when child support is for the child and the NCP's money, then they have no right to ask for more. What is the point of child support if everything except food and shelter are considered extras and have to be paid upon demand???

In some situations that is how the court sets it, in others it isn't. It's not how my husband's is set.

Likewise, if a CP makes so much less that even with child support they cannot afford the child/ren, maybe they shouldn't be the CP.

#150988 - 10/06/06 02:16 AM Re: Almostheaven [Re: AnneB]
almostheaven Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

You ever notice that the only people who argue so hard about not paying based on income are those that are paying? And the same ones who claim they'd do ANYTHING for their kids. Yet they're so hot to get out of paying any dime they can that it leaves me wondering how many of them would REALLY pay any support if they weren't forced to. I know a lot of people claim they would, many would throw a fit and a "HOW DARE YOU INSINUATE" routine about this. But truly, I DO wonder. I've seen too many (IN REAL LIFE) to know better. I've seen those that do try and do the right thing, but they are TRULY few and far between. Most people just give lip service to it. And the harder they argue to get out of paying a dime towards their kids, the more I feel they're headed towards the lip service category.

#150989 - 10/06/06 02:18 AM Re: And you act like... [Re: jsp]
AnneB Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

I think the reason the law allows for medical to be separate is that it is such an unknown and such a variable. It is ridiculous to say medical is in included in CS when one child may go to the doctor once a year and another may go twice a week. In that case the NCP would not be supporting the child at all if medical was not paid in addition to CS because the CS would all be going to pay medical bills. Evidently it is logical to a lot of people since so many state laws require that a portion of medical be paid in addition to CS.

#150990 - 10/06/06 02:19 AM Re: Almostheaven [Re: almostheaven]
jsp Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

And at what point, is enough enough with child support and extra's. If a state sets a rate for foster care that a child can be reasonable supported with no foster parent contribution, then why is it ok for a NCP to pay 2-4 times more in child support and still be expected to pay extra's. At what point, is enough enough? If you cannot afford to parent your kids, especially with child support, then maybe you shouldn't parent those kids.

Page 18 of 23 < 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 22 23 >

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: