Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#168183 - 11/27/06 07:19 AM How much alimony to a non-working ex ?
Oregon_Dad_Solo Offline
recently joined

I've had a restraining order on my alcoholic wife since April. We have two boys, aged 6 and 4, and I have full custody. She has supervised visitation once a week.

She cannot stay sober no matter what, so I need to decide whether to file for divorce and move on with our lives. One of my concerns is alimony. Married for 8 and 1/2 years, I'm 42 and she's 37. She worked 5 of the 8 years as an admin and made $28K, although has not worked in 2006. I'm a business owner making $115K annually. We have about $20K in debt and total assets amount to $80K, all home equity, we have no retirement or savings. I'm sure to get full custody because of her addiction and legal issues, so I assume child support will offset some of the alimony obligation, but I've no idea of even a range I might pay and for how long. If it's more than $1,000/month then I'll have to sell my house (mortgage is $2,600/month). Does anyone know a likely alimony $$ range and duration I'm facing?

#168184 - 04/17/07 06:13 PM Re: How much alimony to a non-working ex ? [Re: Oregon_Dad_Solo]
yregna Offline
veteran

Loc: Oregon
Oregon is one of the only states the will award LIFETIME alimony. The state would rather have you pay for a deadbeat then them...

Do you think she will go back to work voluntarily ?

#168185 - 04/24/07 05:31 PM Re: How much alimony to a non-working ex ? [Re: yregna]
Gecko Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Third rock from the sun
Oregon is one of the only states the will award LIFETIME alimony.

---> Yes, if you're been married for more than thirty years AND the circumstances warrant it.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: