Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#184672 - 01/19/07 08:03 PM half my 401K after only a year?
mimicrain Offline
recently joined

My husband and I have been only married for a year. He does not work, nor is he a stay at home dad. Will he be entitled to half my 401k and retirement fund?

#184673 - 01/19/07 09:28 PM Re: half my 401K after only a year? [Re: mimicrain]
spinnerdegrassi Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

At best, maybe 1/2 of what accumulated during the marriage, and even that's a long shot.

#184674 - 01/20/07 02:53 AM Re: half my 401K after only a year? [Re: spinnerdegrassi]
Maury Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: This Asylum --->
The answer is likely "no."

State laws vary. All states have categories of what are considered non-marittal assets. Those are assets that are not divided in a divorce and which are yours or ihis. In many states, premarital assets are included in that category. In such a state, only that portion of an asset that was acquired during the marriage is marital. In fact, in some states, appreciation on the non-marital portin during the marriage may still be non-marital. Minnesota is such a state.

In some states, premarital assets are not included as non-marital assets. That does not mean you are out of luck. Even in those states, statutes generally allow a party to argue that they should get a greater share of any asset that they used their efforts solely to acquire or maintain. The end result is roughly the same.

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: