Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#185881 - 01/22/07 06:45 PM can i find out if my ex had a pension
judindizgise Offline
recently joined

Without hiring an attorney, is there anyway to find out if my x-husband had any kind of pension while we were married..or is it too late?

married 28 yrs., Illinois, divorced 5 years.

He stated at the time of our divorce, he had no pension, a union sheet metal worker whose original union was merged with another union ( after we separtated )

I believed him.He signed our divorce decree that stated he had no pension. I don't ever remember seeing anything about pension monies while we were married.

Now, I am wondering.

He of course got 1/2 of my pension.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

#185882 - 01/22/07 07:09 PM Re: can i find out if my ex had a pension [Re: judindizgise]
Buckeye Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: OH
I think it is too late now.

#185883 - 01/23/07 12:18 AM Re: can i find out if my ex had a pension [Re: judindizgise]
Gecko Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Third rock from the sun
Too late.

#185884 - 01/25/07 05:02 PM Re: can i find out if my ex had a pension [Re: Gecko]
Redlegg Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

I am probably naive about this, and do not want to give false hope, but I have a military pension, I was concerned about the property settlement being reopened at a later date. Everything I found said it would not be opened up again unless there was fraud or property that was not known about at the time. Would her not knowing it existed be enough. I am sure there was a pension, my father was a union sheet metal worker and he has one. I am clueless, but wondering.

#185885 - 01/25/07 06:05 PM Re: can i find out if my ex had a pension [Re: Redlegg]
Gecko Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Third rock from the sun
Would her not knowing it existed be enough.

---> No, because there is something called "due diligence" in that each party is required to make EVERY effort to ascertain the other party's financial information and that would include sending an inquiry to the Union and it doesn't sound like she did.

#185886 - 01/26/07 04:10 AM Re: can i find out if my ex had a pension [Re: Gecko]
jaiye Offline
old hand

My divorce was reopened 5 months after the final judgement and 4 months after it was final because I found a plan book on a pension that my husband hadn't listed the pension plan during discovery. At first he denied having such a plan until my lawyer contacted his employer. My lawyer filed paperwork for a "Newly Discovered Asset" and the pension plan payments were divided in half. It won't be much when he retires put it will pay me $300 a much after he reaches retirement age.

#185887 - 01/26/07 02:32 PM Re: can i find out if my ex had a pension [Re: Gecko]
Lucy44 Offline
old hand

Loc: Rochester, MN
Presumably, they both had to provide the court a list of assets. If he knowingly omitted a pension plan, wouldn't it amount to purgery or fraud?
I would think that a judge would give that greater weight than her duty to locate his pension.
Frankly, I'm appalled that after 28 years, she would know so little about her husband's job benefits.
judindizgise, did you even have a lawyer?

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: