Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#19513 - 07/05/05 12:54 AM Question about Ohio law
muzicsinger Offline
recently joined

I've been trying to make sense of the Ohio Divorce laws and I'm a bit confused. For Legal Separation it states you have to be a resident of Ohio for 6 months & 90 days within the county. So which is it? We've been in the county for 90 days but not in the state for 6 months. How does that work?
Please help. I'm going through this now and need to know if the case is out of jurisdiction.

#19514 - 07/05/05 07:25 PM Re: Question about Ohio law [Re: muzicsinger]
Debi Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

I would take it to mean both. If you haven't been a resident of the state of ohio for 6 months you can't file for divorce in the state of ohio. If you haven't been a resident of the county you live in for 90 days you can't file for divorce in that county until you have been. (You could live in the state all your life but not have been a resident of the particular county you're in for the 90 day period.)

Since you haven't been a Ohio resident for 6 months you can't file for divorce in the state of Ohio.

#19515 - 07/18/05 04:22 PM Re: Question about Ohio law [Re: Debi]
Karen1 Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Ohio
I am in OHIO. This means that you are required to have lived in Ohio for 6 months, but only for 90 days in the county you file in. The other approx 3 months you could have lived anywhere in the state.

Guess that is what Debi said above, but wanted you to hear it from someone in Ohio and currently going through a divorce.

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: