Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#197515 - 02/22/07 03:04 AM Re: child support [Re: jrl1951]
Miranda Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: North of Mexico
I think your ex has a valid argument about CS. You son is an adult of age 20 who is not going to college. So contingent on those areas why should he be paying for him? What does your state say about emancipation?

#197516 - 02/22/07 03:37 AM Re: child support [Re: Miranda]
almostheaven Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: West Virginia
Her ex will have a problem here though, because they can show that it is ONLY a temporary medical leave AND show that the issues are due to problems with the divorce and his father. The court is likely going to have dad continue...at least reserve the issue til fall to see if son actually does go back to class full time. And it will hurt dad being that he AGREED to help with his college and hasn't put one dime towards it. Especially if that agreement is in writing.

#197517 - 02/22/07 03:44 AM Re: child support [Re: almostheaven]
Gecko Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Third rock from the sun
AND show that the issues are due to problems with the divorce and his father.

---&gt; Hold on a sec...from what the mom is saying, the kid has issues that extend beyond his father's alcoholism. There was his senior year, being top of his class...he has an eating disorder, overhearing BOTH of his parents discussing the financial aspects of their divorce.

#197518 - 02/22/07 04:00 AM Re: child support [Re: Gecko]
almostheaven Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: West Virginia
That's why I said "divorce" AND his father. It seems there are a lot of issues, but much of it is stemming from the divorce...IOW something out of his control, something the parents brought on. So the judge may lean more towards holding the parents to care for him a bit longer while he gets through this temporary setback.

#197519 - 02/22/07 04:18 AM Re: child support [Re: jrl1951]
Gecko Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Gecko, you don't get it.

---&gt; I can't "get" what you don't give me. I'm sorry...I forgot that ya'll had two kids...that's all you had to say, you need to jump my ass.

---&gt; Now I did some research into Title 9 of the NJ Statutes Annointed which covers Domestic relations.

---&gt; NJ does not have a real "age of emancipation"...it can end after the child turns 18 AND graduates from high school or it can end when the "child" completes a Undergraduate Degree program. This is not to say that the "child" can take 10 years to get their BS by taking 1 class every term. They are expect to complete it is four years AND with passing grades.

---&gt; In addition to the child getting married, entering into the service, child support can be terminated "upon the failure to commence the next segment of his education, or upon leaving school". Technically, your child has left school and Dad is within his rights to ask that the child be declared emancipated.

---&gt; HOWEVER, the law does provide for the continuation of support if the "failure to continue on with his education has resulted from injury or illness or some other cause beyond the child's control". The problem where is that you're going to have a REAL tough time convincing a Judge that the "cure" is for son to have his own apartment for six months. Your son doesn't have any coping skills and he's NOT going to get them sitting in an apartment by himself being totally supported my Mommy and Daddy. He'd be better off in some time of rehab center...a controlled environment...with structure...that will teach him...give him the tools he needs. And yeah...I have some experience with this.

#197520 - 02/22/07 04:58 AM Re: child support [Re: Gecko]
googledad Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

[quote]

---&gt; Now I did some research into Title 9 of the NJ Statutes Annointed which covers Domestic relations.
[/quote]

:shocked:

Am I a bad influence ?

Lovers in Liberty Corner, New Jersey, should avoid satisfying their lustful urges in a parked car. If the horn accidentally sounds while they are frolicking behind the wheel, the couple can face a jail term.

#197521 - 02/22/07 05:06 AM Re: child support [Re: googledad]
Gecko Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Am I a bad influence ?

---&gt; Hardly.

#197522 - 02/22/07 11:43 AM Re: child support [Re: Gecko]
Buckeye Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: OH
Well, isn't this just wonderful. Adult (child) wants parents to pay for college, it's the parents fault that adult (child) is having problems coping with their divorce, adult (child) is not going to college and mom expects adult (child) to be set up with room and board in his own apartment.

GIVE ME A BREAK.

Maybe this "child" needs to take some responsibility for his own life and his own actions and learn some coping abilities.

#197523 - 02/22/07 12:46 PM Re: child support [Re: Buckeye]
Redlegg Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

it sounds to me like the smoke and mirrors deal, the school is claiming a full time status, but on medical leave. How much is the "child" paying the school to remain on a full time status. How much a year does it cost to not go to college these days. I feel bad about his problems, but how much do you plan on giving the "child". I would assume he is getting the same from both parents (215) and there is no way he can afford to live on his own. I would maybe question the therapist at this point, I mean mentally he may need to have his own place, but physically it sounds almost dangerous. After all my useless mental wandering and typing, If I were the Dad, I would say if he is not paying the college, I am not paying, and I would go to court and have it stopped (at least try). I would also tell son, man, child that when he goes back to college, I would help him out. The crazy part to me is that the child has basically a prescription for his own apartment, but no real way to pay for it, I would definitely check into disability.

#197524 - 02/22/07 12:58 PM Re: child support [Re: almostheaven]
M5M5 Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

How was he not helping out with College when he was paying CS for him?!?!?!

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: