Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#197555 - 02/25/07 02:49 PM Re: Not precisely... [Re: Redlegg]
almostheaven Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: West Virginia
I think it's even a bit different than that. An alcoholic isn't an alcoholic UNTIL they start drinking. Same with an addict. But an anorexic patient IS anorexic before they start starving themselves. Their brain sees fat where fat doesn't even exist. They have a distorted body image that starts first. THEN they start starving themselves to get the body where they want. But they can never get it there because in their mind, it's still distorted.

#197556 - 02/25/07 06:05 PM Re: Not precisely... [Re: almostheaven]
Gecko Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Third rock from the sun
Not ALL anorexics have a "distorted body images"...some simply just don't eat because they have no appetite.

This is what a close friend of mine is going through...she went from a size 9 to a size 0...she is now a size 5.

It all started when she moved in with her fiance who had custody of his kids. The oldest two kids were grossly overweight and Dad has some extra pounds himself...so she clearned out the kitchen of sugary cereals, Twinkies and "fried" everything and introduced broiled lean meats, fresh vegetables, salads and fruit. While this new "diet" had the desired effect upon the family...she suddenly found herself with no appetite...no desire to eat.

The doctor wanted to put her on a high calorie "diet", but she knew that if she brought such foods into the house, the kids would start gaining again and she didn't think if "fair" for her to sit in front of them eating something really fattening so what she did was to retrain herself to eat. And then hubby installed a lock on her nightstand and she keeps a "stash" in there.

#197557 - 02/25/07 08:19 PM Re: Not precisely... [Re: Gecko]
almostheaven Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Did her doctor actually label her as anorexic? I've never heard of a case like that before.

#197558 - 02/25/07 08:25 PM Re: Not precisely... [Re: almostheaven]
Gecko Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Third rock from the sun
Yep. Anorexia can be an "eating" or a "psychological" disorder.

#197559 - 02/26/07 03:36 AM Re: Not precisely... [Re: almostheaven]
preemiemom Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

I kinda disagree on that AH (sorry!!). Alcoholics are alcoholics whether they drink or not. My father was/is a dry drunk. Whatever imbalance in his brain that makes him an alcoholic is still there.. he just doesn't actively act on it, but the personality things are still there. Now, if he had one beer tomorrow, he'd be buying a fifth of scotch the next night. Either he controls the alcoholic urge entirely or he doesn't.

The same with other addictions I think. Growing up in a highly addictive family (my mother is a recovering gambling addict, 8 years "clean"), and having been through a lot of ACOA, Co-dependent's Anonymous and even having done some GA myself... the addict isn't necessarily about the drug itself.. it's about whatever they get from it. GA folks describe it as "more".. they're chasing "more".. More "what" no one can quite say, it's just "more".

I think you'll also find alot of addicts who get "clean" develop other, albeit "healthy" addictions.. Overeating, overspending, shopping, compulsive collecting of some sort.

It's hard to explain... but I think, in most addicts, there's just a chemical thing in their brain that if given the opportunity/means, they'd become addicted to whatever...

#197560 - 02/26/07 02:27 PM Re: Not precisely... [Re: preemiemom]
almostheaven Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

But was he termed a dry drunk BEFORE he ever had even one drink? The chemical reaction may have been there, just like with anorexia I suppose. If there were a way to find it, we could warn the alcoholic to never pick up a drink and expose themselves to it, because they'd become addicted. But to me, the difference is in that the alcoholic doesn't actually become "alcoholic" until they've at least taken one drink. The anorexic is anorexic even before they start starving themselves. They still see themselves fat, even if they're not, before they stop eating.

#197561 - 02/26/07 11:34 PM Re: Not precisely... [Re: almostheaven]
Sherron Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Okay, so how do you know/diagnose someone as anorexic BEFORE they start starving themselves? Again, I apologize if I come across as argumentative, I AM trying to understand.

#197562 - 02/26/07 11:50 PM Re: Not precisely... [Re: Sherron]
almostheaven Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

I don't think they can, anymore than they could the alcoholic, as I said. If they could, they could force feed the anorexic, just as they could withhold any alcoholic beverages from the alcoholic. One though would be a matter of telling someone not to ever take a drink so they don't become alcoholic, the other however would require intervention. Because they're STILL going to stop eating because of what their mind is seeing, unless someone actually force feeds them.

#197563 - 02/26/07 11:50 PM Re: Not precisely... [Re: almostheaven]
almostheaven Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Actually, now that I think about it, a good therapist might spot the signs of anorexia before one would start starving themselves. I dunno.

#197564 - 02/27/07 06:33 PM Re: Not precisely... [Re: almostheaven]
jrl1951 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
I don't think you can diagnose someone who might become anorexic prior to. I know my son ate everything in good quantities before hand. I will say that it was a slow progression and I knew something was wrong but couldn't put my finger on it. I enocuraged him to get help and the new family doctor told him that he should get help when it started interfering in his life. So yes there were signs and no one really saw it in black and white. I do agree addicts can develop other tendencies when they get "sober". There are addictions on my ex's side and a cousin on my side had anorexia when she was younger. My father had psychological problems all his life so unfortantely our son got a double whammy. Then again what family is perfect? My ex had brainwashed our kids against any kind of mental therapy. I had asked him on numerous occasins to get professinal help. It wasn't until things were very bad the frist time he finally asked for help.

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: