Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#198392 - 02/23/07 05:39 PM Vent...sports
M5M5 Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Good greif! Got a call from BM today...left a message stating that all three kids had soccer practice this weekend, all at different fields. I'm like...WTH? SS15 has soccer practice every day after school (HS soccer) and today DH will pick him up from practice around 6pm. SS13 just started middle school practices...but those are during the week. SD...she is playing soccer again? SD has said that she doesn't want to play soccer at all.

So...I go to the club soccer web page..and sure enough...she has signed SS15 up for it, along with HS soccer...signed SS13 up for it, along with middle school soccer, and signed SD up for it (at least she just finished her BB cheerleading I think). I'm wondering how in the world they are going to manage all of this. SS15 has HS soccer EVERY day after school (practices) and his games will be starting in March. His club soccer practices are on Saturdays and a few days during the week (not sure exactly how many yet because the club owner is not consistant in his scheduling and will add on more practices here and there...he is also the HS soccer coach btw).

As far as I know SS13 middle school practices are 3 days a week after school (if not more). Seems like the only one who will have any free time what so ever is SD...she is only practicing 2-3 times a week (at this time).

I just get so sick of this...of her just dropping all this on us out of the blue...This is a first...her having them play both club and school soccer all at the same time.

I expect a bill any day now for all of it. Of course, the only things DH agreed on is the school related sports. Not club. I just get SO sick of this BS! SS13 and SD's grades are suffering BIG TIME...now I see the grades getting worse. SD made an F in READING!!! She had a couple of D's too...and so did SS13. SS15 is the only one keeping his grades up. These kids are honor students...or where when we had custody...and now look at them!

#198393 - 02/23/07 06:02 PM Re: Vent...sports [Re: M5M5]
Gecko Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Third rock from the sun
You just do what you can and if a kid misses practice...oh well.

#198394 - 02/23/07 06:06 PM Re: Vent...sports [Re: Gecko]
M5M5 Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Well we will def. make sure they get to their school practices as I think those are more important...not to mention that we agreed on those. Me personally...I wouldn't worry too much about the club practices....DH will do his best to see that they get there though...that's just the way he is. Even if he didn't agree to it and doesn't approve.

#198395 - 02/23/07 06:24 PM I agree [Re: M5M5]
Melody Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: California
You do what you can do....but in some situations, choices will need to be made...and the high school practices should take preference. We've had that issue arise because my daughter plays 2 high school sports as well as 2 off season 'club' sports. There is always overlap between the one that is 'in season' for high school and the other sport's club season and vice versa. The club coaches all know who their dual sport athletes are and understand that while a sport is in season, the school programs are the priority.

Since they will be with you on the weekends, and you are aware of what subject they are struggling in, why not tie their participation during your time on successfully completing some extra work in those subject areas????

#198396 - 02/23/07 06:41 PM Re: I agree [Re: Melody]
M5M5 Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

I've never thought of that! How would I do that? From what I understand by looking at their school reports...the reason SD is failing reading is because she has not been doing her homework. Most of the items she made U/F's on is homework...and then the tests too. I'm really not sure if she is still cheering or not, but she was only doing that twice a week with a game on saturdays. So..I think it also has alot to do with her mom just not caring/making sure she gets it done, etc. She told me last weekend that when she was doing her homework, her mom made her stop to clean her room..then she had no time to finish it because they went out to dinner afterwards and then onto a ball game. Of course, she could be making that up...but I kinda don't think so. BM leaves them alone too much, does not care what they do or who they hang out with as long as they are out of her hair.

Another really sad thing...SD told me a few weeks ago that she overheard her mom talking to someone on the phone..and she was saying that she wished she didn't have a daughter because they are too much trouble..that she would have much rather have had a boy. She didn't know SD could hear her. SD was crying when she told me this. Broke my heart.

Anyhow..it's the same thing with SS13..he is not made to do his homework, so he doesn't. So then he gets Fs...and then fails some of the tests. The boys are more involved in sports...pretty much nonstop for the past two years. If you recall..one of the big issues (other than financial) of DH not agreeing to the club soccer is because of his grades in school. BM just doesn't seem to care. I have NEVER seen him bring any books/homework home when he is here (Wednesdays and EOF).

The club season never seems to end. They took a break for about a month..and now they are back at it agian....and as soon as the spring season is over, into summer it goes, then directly into fall/winter. I just don't get how BM can put sports over school.

#198397 - 02/23/07 06:53 PM Well.... [Re: M5M5]
Melody Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Honestly, I can't see how you can effect them doing their homework and turning it in when they are only with you briefly each week. You'd really have to get in contact with the teachers and request homework for the weekends that you have them....at least you could supervise that.

What I had in mind was obtaining extra work specific to the subjects they are doing poorly in....math, reading, etc. You can purchase workbooks at teacher supply stores and make them do a few pages each day of the weekend BEFORE they are allowed to go to a practice or game. You may have to work with them to grasp the concepts (multiplication of fractions, whatever), but at least if they aren't doing their work at home....they are getting some exposure to the work with you and it could help their grades. You can find out from the teachers exactly what areas you could be targeting. You can also ask the teacher for practice worksheets after you explain what it is you have in mind. As a teacher, I would be glad to see a child's other family wanting to do something to try and help them. Also, there are numerous websites where you can print out math worksheets. I don't teach reading or Language Arts, so I'm not familiar with what's out there, but how about having the children read chapter books at their reading level and have to respond to you about what they've read???

#198398 - 02/23/07 06:56 PM Re: Well.... [Re: Melody]
M5M5 Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

That's a great idea! I will discuss that with DH today...he will support it too.

#198399 - 02/23/07 10:45 PM Re: Vent...sports [Re: M5M5]
LeAnne Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: missouri
I can't believe the schools are letting them play with grades like that. Here you have to have a C or above to play. Drop below and you are off the team for the next semester, until grades come out again. Might be something to bring up to the judge. Here are their report cards before all these sports, look at them now, they are failing. Education should come before all sports, you can't keep up, sorry you don't play. Is there such a thing as educational neglect?

#198400 - 02/24/07 01:29 AM In most high schools, it's a 2.0 average [Re: LeAnne]
Melody Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

or you don't play....so you could still fail a class and have adequate grades in other subjects to maintain the 2.0 average. In lower school, (middle and junior high) they may not have a policy...but I feel they should. A couple of teachers and I have been trying to get an athletic policy in my school for 4 years now....we finally got one through that looked like it was going to work, but the principal won't back it up by enforcing it...even though she approved of it in the beginning of the year. She just doesn't want to deal with whining parents when their little darling can't play basketball because he has a D or an F in a subject. Boy...some parents really amaze me....they are more concerned over their 13 year old missing out on less than 8 lousy basketball games than failing a major curriculum area such as math or reading.

#198401 - 02/25/07 02:51 AM Re: In most high schools, it's a 2.0 average [Re: Melody]
momx3 Offline
old hand

Locally, it used to be a D or above permitted you to continue participation. Now, anything goes. Make an F, big deal! You can still participate.

I call it the dumbing down of America's children.

My kids know that my rule is below a C and you're outta there!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: