Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#199108 - 02/26/07 01:40 AM Re: "then he needs to pay your child support"... [Re: jsp]
steppedonmom Offline
enthusiast

If the shoe was on the other foot, how would you feel about it?

#199109 - 02/26/07 01:54 AM Re: "then he needs to pay your child support"... [Re: steppedonmom]
jsp Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Who are you asking?

If it were me, it wouldn't be an issue - I always pay my bills and debt. When my husband wasn't working due to military retirement, we cut out everything, lived off my income and he got a job and worked as much as he could at a store and paid his support - it was a lot more than $80 a week. He never once was behind. Just because he made a choice, doesn't mean his kids can stop eating (given mom doesn't financially contribute a dime toward the kids care). As the spouse, I felt obligated to help him as much as I could till he was in a better position, which is exactly what I did. I even paid for the plane tickets for his youngest son when necessary, bought gifts/clothing and other needs. Marriage is a partnership!

#199110 - 02/26/07 01:59 AM Re: "then he needs to pay your child support"... [Re: Geneva]
Gecko Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Third rock from the sun
$80.00 just seems like a lot when things are a little tight.

---&gt; I'm sorry...because things are tight, you're not going to feed your child...let him go barefoot in the snow?

#199111 - 02/26/07 02:13 AM Re: "then he needs to pay your child support"... [Re: Gecko]
steppedonmom Offline
enthusiast

Sorry. I should've clarified. It was directed to the original poster.

And I am with you on that, jsp. When my husband was unemployed, his first thought was to reduce c/s. I said NO! The kids come first! We had to cut corners to make ends meet as best as we could, and reducing c/s was a last resort. Of course, his c/s was not a huge amount. If it was wayyyy too high, we might've done things differently. He went 7 months without a job, and we made it work without reducing c/s.

#199112 - 02/26/07 03:28 AM Re: "then he needs to pay your child support"... [Re: steppedonmom]
jsp Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

If you all weren't paying a lot of child support, I agree with you. But, I think now given the situation if my husband were unemployed we'd consider a reduction but the ex gets child support and military retirement and there is no contact. If we had a relationship, then I'd do what I needed to do but when she terminates it to be the only parent, I think she should learn what it is like to be a real single parent (with a live-in boyfriend).

If a parent chooses to be a stay at home parent or underemployed, to me they need to find a way to continue to support their children, in or outside their home. I can't imagine feeling it is ok not to financially provide for my children. I can understand taking a few years off to be a stay at home parent due to child care costs, but that is only if we could pay our bills/obligations, including child support.

#199113 - 02/26/07 11:08 AM Re: "then he needs to pay your child support"... [Re: jsp]
tsl Offline
Pooh-Bah

Simple:

Find a job that has opposite work schedule as your hubby. Thus, no need to hire and pay for day care. Even if it is JUST part time!

If he works 1st shift, then find something on 2nds or 3rds. You are home when hubby works, he is home when you work.

You do what you have to do to support ALL your family, including child that doesn't live with you!

#199114 - 02/26/07 02:32 PM Re: "then he needs to pay your child support"... [Re: Geneva]
almostheaven Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: West Virginia
Someone's giving you some really bad info. NO state claims a person (female or otherwise) can make $12/hr. just because they can't show proof of past income. UNLESS, your ex claimed that's what you were making and the court just believed him. But if you have proof, show it. And get a better lawyer. It should be based on what you CAN earn, HAVE earned, and are CAPABLE of earning. Not on a mythical figure pulled outta someone's butt.

#199115 - 02/26/07 02:35 PM I think the point being missed here... [Re: jsp]
almostheaven Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

She's NOT disputting CS, just that the CS she pays was based on more than she does, has, or ever has made. ANY NCP who came on here saying they've always made $20K but their CS got based on $38K would usually be told to seek a modification. She COULD take a job, but with kids and the kind of income she could earn, the price of gas, etc., she'd likely only break even. It's just not worth it. But her CS should be based on what she typically earns regardless.

#199116 - 02/26/07 02:36 PM I'm not getting this... [Re: jsp]
almostheaven Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

This has NOTHING to do with her choosing to stay home. Her CS was based on an INCORRECT INCOME from the start.

#199117 - 02/26/07 02:37 PM Re: "then he needs to pay your child support"... [Re: jsp]
almostheaven Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

She's paying over $300/mo., depending on how many weeks in the month...AT LEAST $320/mo. for one child. I don't see that as being so low that it doesn't help.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: