Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#199378 - 02/26/07 06:31 PM What is CS supposed to cover?
hibiscush Offline
recently joined

My first post. I'm not divorced quite yet, so I'm not too clear on something about temp. C.S. payments received and what it should pay for. My ex thinks it should pay for 100% of the needs of the kids, and he shouldn't have any further obligation when it comes to extra-curricular sports (fees, uniforms, other expenses), as well birthday parties when they are with him on his weekend, school tutors, and things as such. I'm really not clear on this myself. I pay for all the school supplies, uniforms, parties and field trips, but here's the problem that occurred today. My son made the school baseball team. I've spent over $200 on the uniform, including terf shoes and metal cleats, and practice clothes. As well as my younger son's $100 registration fee for little league this month. Then there popped up a $35 school bb fee at the end of the month that I didn't know about or budget for. I asked the ex to pay it, and he objected telling me that the child support he paid me should cover all of it. I'm down to my last $40 until next month, and then he's always late in making his support payment.
Bottom line is, I'm just not clear as to everything C.S. is supposed to pay for myself. I've spent this entire morning, online, trying to find this answer. I know it's only $35, but I can see where this is leading. Since I'm not yet divorced, I want to try to solve problems before the ink is dry.

#199379 - 02/26/07 06:37 PM Re: What is CS supposed to cover? [Re: hibiscush]
Susanf31 Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Each state is different. In some states, extra-curriculiar activites are included in the CS. In other states, extra-curricular activies are in ADDITION to child support.

Consult your state guidelines and make sure your ex is paying the proper amount of child support to begin with.

Since your divorce is not final, I would seek his portion of the current extra-curricular activies via your lawyer.

#199380 - 02/26/07 06:59 PM Re: What is CS supposed to cover? [Re: hibiscush]
M5M5 Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Any school fees are normally what CS is used for also, this includes school lunch, fees, yearbook, etc. Birthday parties...CS is used for that...meaning..he doesn't have to pay extra for it. The only thing he really has to pay extra for..on top of CS..is uncovered medical expenses (after insurance has paid). Extra curriculars...some states include that in CS...other's make the NCP pay half of the costs on top of CS. It really depends on your state guidelines...what they say.

Other things CS is used for:

-household bills
-gas
-movies, clothes, shoes, misc.

I hope you have a better idea now.

#199381 - 02/26/07 07:00 PM Re: What is CS supposed to cover? [Re: hibiscush]
Gecko Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Third rock from the sun
It can vary depending on how it is calculated.

In ALL states...you have a "base" amount. In a nutshell, this is the OP's (other parent's) share of housing, clothing, food and basic education (school supplies).

In some states...the cost of medical insurance, daycare, medical** and extraordinary*** expenses are added to the support amount, in other states...this is separate amount.

** - Counseling, special medical needs

*** - Tutors, private school

Extra-curricular activities (clubs, sports, lessons) are generally handled separately. If at the time of the divorce, the child(ren) are already engaged in certain activities/sports the courts will allow for the continuation of said and direct each parents financial contribution.

If the child(ren) are not involved in these, the issue CAN STILL be addressed on a future basis...in fact I highly recommend that some kind of verbage be included because otherwise...the OP is NOT responsible.

#199382 - 02/26/07 07:14 PM Re: What is CS supposed to cover? [Re: Gecko]
hibiscush Offline
recently joined

So by "extra-curricular" that means the parents are to share this obligation over and above the monthly c.s.?
BTW, I live in Florida.
And when you speak of the State guidelines, are you talking about the Child Support Guideline form that is used to determine monthly C.S. amounts? If that isn't what you are referring to, can you be more specific so I can look it up?
My attorney told me that when they came up with these guidelines, a % was allocated per child for how much it cost for their share of the water bill, the power bill, etc. But I've done an exhausted search to try to find information about this online, and it's just not available that I can find. My ex thinks the CS $ he pays is going towards grocery's, clothes, and other things the kids need. Not power bill, water, etc. Can't seem to convince him otherwise.

#199383 - 02/26/07 07:29 PM Re: What is CS supposed to cover? [Re: hibiscush]
Gecko Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

So by "extra-curricular" that means the parents are to share this obligation over and above the monthly c.s.?

---> Yes...it would be IN addition to the base amount.

And when you speak of the State guidelines, are you talking about the Child Support Guideline form that is used to determine monthly C.S. amounts?

---> Yes.

My attorney told me that when they came up with these guidelines, a % was allocated per child for how much it cost for their share of the water bill, the power bill, etc.

---> Your attorney is correct. What it basicly calculates at is...what is a single person's normal housing (rent, electic, gas, water, sewer/garbage) costs and then what does it cost to add a child. Example...a one-bedroom apartment might cost $500/month, a two-bedroom would cost $600, so $100 is attributed to the child. It's the same way with your utilities...you have your base costs, like say your electric bill is $50, but goes up to $60 with a child...the child's "share" is $10.

---> You will note that utilities like telephone, cable and internet are NOT included; this is because these costs are "fixed" and you would have them regardless.

But I've done an exhausted search to try to find information about this online, and it's just not available that I can find.

---> And you won't find them.

My ex thinks the CS $ he pays is going towards grocery's, clothes, and other things the kids need. Not power bill, water, etc. Can't seem to convince him otherwise.

---> Just have your attorney talk to his attorney and explain the facts of life to him and that if he wants to pay extra for "housing"...then I'm sure the courts will be happy to oblige him.

#199384 - 02/26/07 08:27 PM Re: What is CS supposed to cover? [Re: hibiscush]
M5M5 Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

-----

Only IF your state guidelines and/or CO specify it. When we had custody of my skids...NCP was not ordered to pay for any part of extra curriculars. We just took it out of the CS she paid.

#199385 - 02/26/07 09:07 PM Re: What is CS supposed to cover? [Re: M5M5]
Gecko Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

M5M5 is correct...I should have qualified my response as I did in my first post to you.

It will be dependent on how your state addresses said issues, so it could be included in CS and it could be separate or it could not be included at all.

#199386 - 02/26/07 09:41 PM Re: What is CS supposed to cover? [Re: Gecko]
Redlegg Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

It doesn't mean anyone has to share it at all, sometimes you just can't afford extra curricular activities and that is the way it goes. CS is to insure that the child(ren) have all the things needed to have a decent life, that their basic needs are met. If you use the money for a gas bill, electric bill, food or rent, or gas for the car, it is all things that the children need. Extra is just that extra. If the court order specifies it then so be it, if not, you treat it like you would any exta activitie, if you can, you do, if you ask for help from the ex and they can, you do. The court order lays out obligations, the rest is extra. Hopefully it can worked out and the child(ren) benefit, but not always.

#199387 - 02/26/07 09:46 PM Re: What is CS supposed to cover? [Re: hibiscush]
etindall8 Offline
enthusiast

just to reiterate what has already been said, it depends on how your state addresses those issues.

In TX, all you get is CS and the insurance premium. There's no extra for child care or extra-curricular stuff unless there's something specific the 2 parents agreed to and written into the decree. So if you decide to sign your child up for something, you pay it. If your ex decides to sign your child up for something, he pays for it.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: