Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#199726 - 02/27/07 05:41 PM LOL! Here is the reply I got
M5M5 Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

from the email I sent my ex:

Hey- It's Stefanie. Jamie's working.

I spoke to him and he told me to let you know that if you want to get some prices from an attorney, we'll look into paying for it. If we do that though, we really need to see about working something out to where the money he pays for the adoption will be deducted from what he owes in child support.

As for the attorney just saying that because he wants our money, I doubt that is the case, as he refferred us to another attorney- not even the same practice- to get it done. Even if it were possible, it would be better for everyone to use an attorney as that way everyone's rights will be protected.

Just let us know ASAP about some prices and we will see what we can work out. Thanks.

Stefanie

-----

Wow..is that even legal?

#199727 - 02/27/07 06:02 PM Re: LOL! Here is the reply I got [Re: M5M5]
NancyD Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New York
What?!! He wants you to let him deduct the money he spends to get out of paying more child support from the amount he already owes?

That's like a thief asking if he can deduct his defense expenses before he makes restitution ordered by the court!

#199728 - 02/27/07 06:03 PM Re: LOL! Here is the reply I got [Re: NancyD]
M5M5 Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Yeah I know..and I don't think it's even legal!

I'm dealing with retards.

#199729 - 02/27/07 08:13 PM Re: LOL! Here is the reply I got [Re: M5M5]
Gecko Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Third rock from the sun
Yeah I know..and I don't think it's even legal!

---> Why wouldn't it be?

#199730 - 02/27/07 10:25 PM Re: LOL! Here is the reply I got [Re: Gecko]
M5M5 Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

I just heard somewhere...and I think it was here lol..that stuff like that isn't legal. Why would I agree to it even if it wasn't? I guess we will see lol. They are wanting this really badly.

#199731 - 02/28/07 01:17 AM Re: LOL! Here is the reply I got [Re: M5M5]
Gecko Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Outrageous maybe given that he hasn't paid child support in a long time, but certainly NOT "illegal".

It's up to YOU whether or not you would like to "credit" his arrearages for the cost of doing the adoption and frankly...since you said the reason why you had put it off was because ya'll couldn't afford it...here's your chance.

And I would only "credit" HALF of the cost...NOT the full amount.

#199732 - 02/28/07 03:05 AM Re: LOL! Here is the reply I got [Re: Gecko]
steppedonmom Offline
enthusiast

I wouldn't credit anything, to be perfectly honest. It's the least HE could do....grrr.

#199733 - 02/28/07 12:40 PM Re: LOL! Here is the reply I got [Re: steppedonmom]
M5M5 Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

I def. wouldn't credit the full amount. I really don't want to credit any of it because THEY are the ones pushing it. He is the one that contacted me for this after all. The quote I got from an attorney last year...was $800 plus a filing fee of between $175-300. So...about 1K total..give or take.

Now, DH does want to adopt my son...but my ex and his wife are the ones pushing it ..and big time now.

#199734 - 02/28/07 01:35 PM Re: LOL! Here is the reply I got [Re: M5M5]
Gecko Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

So take the opportunity being granted...let them pay everything up front...give them 50% 'cuz who knows when you'll have this opportunity again and the boy DESERVES a good FATHER!

#199735 - 02/28/07 10:06 PM Re: LOL! Here is the reply I got [Re: Gecko]
momx3 Offline
old hand

In TN you cannot forgive child support even if an adoption takes place. CSE, or private attorney, can still pursue it up til the adoption was finalized. They do that so that folks won't offer their children up for adoption just to avoid paying the CS.

In a case like this, they are supposed (and that being the key word) to make the child support current before the adoption can be finalized...but adoptions go through everyday without that stipulation in place. For example, the two children my DH adopted from second marriage. lol

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: