Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#21328 - 07/19/05 02:47 PM divorce final
mom88 Offline
journeyman

when is the divorce final? Is when we sign the papers or when the judge signs them?

#21329 - 07/19/05 05:42 PM Re: divorce final [Re: mom88]
fedup Offline

Judge

#21330 - 07/19/05 09:16 PM Re: divorce final [Re: fedup]
mom88 Offline
journeyman

thank you. sbx lawyer sure is delaying and making many mistakes. we signed the papers over a month ago and he just now sent over the form for the judge for my lawyer to go over. it had many mistakes that had to be corrected by my lawwyer. bad thing it's costing me more and more money.

#21331 - 07/19/05 10:18 PM Re: divorce final [Re: mom88]
Karen1 Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Ohio
In my case, it got to 9 days til the final hearing, with settlement papers signed and filed with the court a month prior. Then stbx fired his attorney and got another... so more delays. you can bet I am going for reimbursement on the additional attorney fees I will accrue. It is my understanding that is not final until judge/magistrate etc. signs the paperwork. In my county and state, that often takes quite some time. Means neither can remarry legally until orders are signed. No biggie to me that is for sure!

#21332 - 07/19/05 10:27 PM Re: divorce final [Re: Karen1]
mom88 Offline
journeyman

we already went past the final hearing by 1 1/2 months. and his lawyer is just being a jerk. what he is doing i'm not sure sbx don't even know what his problem is. i asked sbx how much he paid him so far and won't answer but i told him what i paid for mine and he was very quiet. so my guess is alot more then that. i have to laugh because sbx thought he could get the divorce for 1500.

#21333 - 07/20/05 04:58 PM Re: divorce final [Re: mom88]
Karen1 Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Ohio
The attorney stbx fired is a drinking buddy of his... the new one told mine that stbx had not been paying the old attorney very much. Don't know how new would know, unless he asked, or stbx brought it up when new one mentioned retainer and fees.

Stbx thought he had it all figured out, handed me dissolution papers he had prepared at the time he told me he was leaving. Of course he totally ignored what the laws are regarding marital assets and the division of them. He must have thought I would fall for that.... he was so wrong.

Divorce has to become final at some point right? It can't possibly go on like this forever can it? Some days I think I have died, gone to hell and this will be my eternity. Has been over 3 years since stbx left. The up side is that I am a lot stronger and now have the attitude that I am glad he left.

#21334 - 07/20/05 06:18 PM Re: divorce final [Re: Karen1]
MADISON Offline

how long does it actually take to get a divorce...and do the lawyers get paid a fee or hourly rate...i'm going to get a free consultation on monday...i will probably find out then...but i was just curious...i hate the waiting and all the uncertainty ...not sure what will happen .

#21335 - 07/20/05 06:25 PM Re: divorce final [Re: MADISON]
Lyn Offline
journeyman

Loc: NJ
Madison - My divorce took almost 2 years, but we had to go the trial route; believe in can be over in NJ pretty quickly if both parties agree on everything....no fault requires 18 months of living apart. I am in Morris Cty if yiou're anywhere near this neck of the woods and need/want any lawyer suggestions...think I've witnessed most of them duiring our many treks to court.

#21336 - 07/20/05 06:27 PM Re: divorce final [Re: MADISON]
Lyn Offline
journeyman

Loc: NJ
Madison - My divorce took almost 2 years, but we had to go the trial route; believe in can be over in NJ pretty quickly if both parties agree on everything....no fault requires 18 months of living apart. Into am in Morris Cty if you are anywhere nearby and need/want any lawyer suggestions...think I've witnessed most of them during our many treks to court.

#21337 - 07/20/05 07:04 PM Re: divorce final [Re: Lyn]
mom88 Offline
journeyman

I know it's been since Nov. But the thing that is holding this up is his lawyer. My lawyer asked for paper work from stbx. And stbx gave him the papers within two days and it took the lawyer three weeks to give to my lawyer.

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: