Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#213877 - 04/05/07 03:59 PM Spousal Support question
Silky Offline
recently joined

My STBX left in Oct 06. He left and is staying with his parents. He left me with a mortgage and all utilities and hasn't assisted financially since then. I have tried to reconcile and thought we were on that path when he told me he has been dating. I have finally served him. I am asking for 1/3 of the mortgage until the property is sold(which could take a while). His parents will be doing his response and I am sure that they will deny the $ that I am asking for in support. I make more $ than him but am unable to maintain the house, utilities, gas to work etc to live there. The house is financed in my name and deeded to both of us. His parents will lie and say he is paying them $ for rent. What are my chances for receiving assistance from him until the property is sold?

#213878 - 04/05/07 05:33 PM Re: Spousal Support question [Re: Silky]
googledad Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

How long have you been married ?

#213879 - 04/05/07 05:37 PM Re: Spousal Support question [Re: googledad]
Silky Offline
recently joined

almost 8 years

#213880 - 04/05/07 05:48 PM Re: Spousal Support question [Re: Silky]
googledad Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

You can ask but it's not likely as you already make more than he does . Consider economizing .

#213881 - 04/06/07 05:21 PM Re: Spousal Support question [Re: Silky]
Gecko Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Third rock from the sun
Since you earn more, it is doubtful that the courts will order him to assist you with all the expenses...at best you might get an order for the mortgage, but good luck on trying to collect it.

What I would recommend is that you get him to sign a Quit Claim on the Deed and to surrender ANY and ALL interest in the property. While he would be legally entitled to half the equity in the property, I doubt there is much after 8 years beyond the initial down payment and I would put forth to him that since you are carrying the burden of all the expenses, that his share of the expenses will eat away at his share of the equity and by the time the house is sold, and those expenses paid for, he won't have anything left.

Once you get the QC, I would then either see if you can refinace to lower your payment or get a roommate until the house sells. And if he doesn't go for the QC, I would probably still look into a roommate.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: