Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#219951 - 04/23/07 03:51 AM After School Care
061212 Offline
recently joined

My boyfriend has just had his child support modified. For the next four months it will be 900+ because his child is in daycare. After, four months it will reduce to 500. Now, the ex is looking into after school care, will he be obligated to pay for that care? It is unfair because of the increase we cannot send our own daughter to daycare so we will have to wait. At the moment he is unable to contribute to her current care because of his obligation to his other child. Please help!

#219952 - 04/23/07 03:57 AM Re: After School Care [Re: 061212]
youngatheart Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

He should have to pay for aftercare, but it depends on how the order is worded. You need to read it. Why do you think he shouldn't be liable for part of it?

#219953 - 04/23/07 06:27 AM Re: After School Care [Re: 061212]
cincsu Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: residence in AZ, case in CA
it probably depends on your state, but in CA both parents are obligated to pay 1/2 of daycare so the other parent can work.

that means, if the child has to go to aftercare so the mom can work he will probably have to pay 1/2 of the aftercare as well. aftercare is likely 1/4 of normal daycare, though.

#219954 - 04/23/07 11:52 AM Re: After School Care [Re: cincsu]
Karenx31 Offline
recently joined

Loc: kentucky
in my state u have to pay according to your income & they do take other children into consideration 2

#219955 - 04/23/07 01:44 PM Re: After School Care [Re: 061212]
NancyD Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New York
If the aftercare is needed because the CP is working, then yes, the NCP would be responsible for half. It's just another form of "daycare".

There are different kinds of afterschool care programs available. I used the YMCA's program which was run right in my children's school—it had a waiting list because it was so popular. There were also a few neighborhood SAHMom's who had small businesses doing this. Lately, the bigger, national chain businesses have moved into our area (Tutor Time, etc.)

Before the fulltime daycare ends, you might call around and get a price range of aftercare programs in your area. Then when the CP wants to discuss placement, the NCP will have an idea of their share of the financial burden, AND should have talking points for the merits/disadvantages of each.

#219956 - 04/23/07 01:48 PM Re: After School Care [Re: NancyD]
Susanf31 Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

How is it unfair? Why should all of the daycare fall on BM's shoulders when the kid being in daycare enables your H to work too.

Yes, your H will have to contribute towards after-school care for his child. Most states split the bill in ratio to income.

Just like if you worked...you and your H would pay for your child's daycare, no? Same goes with the child he has with his ex. He and his ex pay for that child's daycare.

#219957 - 04/23/07 02:02 PM Re: After School Care [Re: 061212]
Avaya Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Arkansas
Depends on where you live. In my state the CP's income is not used in calculating CS, and I assume that is the rationalle for the CP being responsible for all child care costs. NCP pays for half medical/dental and nothing else, according to state statute.

#219958 - 04/23/07 05:40 PM Re: After School Care [Re: 061212]
preemiemom Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

[quote]My boyfriend has just had his child support modified. For the next four months it will be 900+ because his child is in daycare. After, four months it will reduce to 500. Now, the ex is looking into after school care, will he be obligated to pay for that care? It is unfair because of the increase we cannot send our own daughter to daycare so we will have to wait. At the moment he is unable to contribute to her current care because of his obligation to his other child. Please help! [/quote]

Yes, he would have to pay for it, presumably. "Afterschool" care is no different than "day"care. You weren't specific but I am assuming that either the child in question is either just hitting school age and is now in a full time daycare program for the summer.. and will be entering kindergarten in the fall?

You don't specify what prompted the change in order. Mother went back to work? Mother just incurred daycare costs (ie: had free daycare, no longer available??). I'm going to assume that the mother is going back to work full-time (you didn't mention if the $500 portion was an increase or a decrease or a non-change in amount).

If he's obligated for "day"care, then he is obligated for "afterschool" care.

Are you currently working? Are you guys working opposite shifts so one provides childcare for your child during the day, the other at night?

You state your boyfriend can't send your child to daycare.. Presumably, you'd need to find a job that, after paying daycare, still brought income into the household, otherwise, the job isn't worthwhile. Or again, you work offshifts.

Be prepared, again not knowing where you are from. If you and boyfriend ever split up.. don't expect his financial contribution to your child to equal that of the first child. Pretty much it's whoever bellies up to the bar first, so to speak. As a comparison for you.. my stbx pays over $7,000 a year in BASIC child support for first child. Not including 1/2 medical and 1/2 childcare (currently $300+ per month, or $3,600 per year). With what he makes, minus what he owes first wife, his CS obligation to OUR child is a grand total of $300 a YEAR... Is it fair? No.. is it the way the system works? Yes...

#219959 - 04/23/07 07:16 PM Yes [Re: 061212]
Melody Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: California
he should contribute for the after school care....as long as it is required in order for the custodial parent to perform their job, then BOTH parents should be paying for it.

I dont' understand what your child has to do with this? Daycare isn't a treat that your child is losing out on...it's a cost of doing business if both parents are working. Why couldn't you send your kid to daycare; if you work, then you get paid and can pay for daycare. If you don't work, then why would you NEED to send your child to daycare?

Oh...and BTW...the other child was there first, so legally his obligation IS to his other child FIRST.

#219960 - 04/23/07 07:37 PM Re: Yes [Re: Melody]
061212 Offline
recently joined

First of all he isn't the first child. He's the second child. Never, did I say he shouldn't pay for it! Secondly, I do work and why is it that I have to pay for all of it. Are you trying to say because I work that I have enough money to pay for it. Another thing you don't know the whole story now why are you so aggressive? Are you a manipulative ex too? Like his ex! Are you also implying that our child and any future children shouldn't be supported because he created a child with someone before me?? Yes, I need daycare for my child because I work too! I think you're answer is so lame and only because you are in the situation where you were somebody elses first. Listen here I'm somebody elses first too but never would I put my ex and my child through what she has put my bf through.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: