Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Page 2 of 42 < 1 2 3 4 41 42 >
Topic Options
#225001 - 05/04/07 01:58 PM Re: why why why??? [Re: Debi]
Witch23 Offline
enthusiast

"But, if you defaulted on your mortage your bank won't forgive the interest or penelities and neither will CSE "
-----&gt; Not saying he is not in the "bad" for not paying all that time, but I am with Cassie on this one. That is an impossible amount to pay off. Now the big difference with the comparison you made and the mortgage is that a home can be foreclosed on and taken away and auctioned. The person can file for bankrupcty and have that amount "wiped". There is no doin that with CS. There is no CS bankruptcy. There is no "taking the child away" and "auctioned off". You compared apples and oranges.

I can see how a person would not want to pay, b/c no matter the task seems impossible to ever complete. There is no light at the end of the tunnel.

#225002 - 05/04/07 02:35 PM Re: why why why??? [Re: Witch23]
junebug Offline
addict

How is he $200,000 in arrears, that would mean he didn't pay $700 per month for 23.8 years???

#225003 - 05/04/07 02:37 PM Re: why why why??? [Re: junebug]
junebug Offline
addict

It's not a mortgage, it's child support. My grandfather used to say "if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle." It makes no sense to compare the two...they are two different things!!!

#225004 - 05/04/07 02:49 PM Re: why why why??? [Re: junebug]
katiefedup Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

actually it has been almost 18 years and the intrests adds up

#225005 - 05/04/07 02:50 PM Re: why why why??? [Re: Witch23]
almostheaven Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: West Virginia
-----&gt; Not saying he is not in the "bad" for not paying all that time, but I am with Cassie on this one. That is an impossible amount to pay off.

And? Who's fault is it that its impossible? So freaking what?! My sister was told by the government that she'll NEVER be able to pay off all her student loans in her lifetime. And? Do you think they're going to stop applying interest? Hell no! She owes it, she knew the terms, SHE chose to get that far behind, to keep defaulting and deferring. SHE made the choice, SHE will face the consequences. She owns her house. So when she dies, her children are not going to get that house. No. The government will. Maybe it will or maybe it won't pay back all she borrowed/accrued. But she deserves no, and is getting no, breaks.

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;There is no doin that with CS. There is no CS bankruptcy. There is no "taking the child away" and "auctioned off".

Because children aren't property. They're PEOPLE. And when one makes a choice to have them, they'd best be prepared to support them, or face consequences of not doing so. His consequence was that because he allowed this to accumulate for so many years, that he now has to pay DOUBLE his CS just to start getting the balance down. Well phooey for him. I guess actions/inactions DO have consequences. Although I realize in today's world that most people think consequences should be forgotten at certain points and that not everyone should be held accountable for what they do. Its just today's mentality I guess. :(

#225006 - 05/04/07 03:20 PM Re: why why why??? [Re: katiefedup]
momx3 Offline
old hand

This loser is never going to get it paid off. And the Courts is going to keep allowing his silly tatics to work. My questions is this: in CA, are you able to file a claim against one's estate for child support arrearages? Is it in the form of a judgment or can it be made into one at the time of your D's emancipation? Filing against his estate someday is the only way you're going to see all of it (or a big part of it). :)

#225007 - 05/04/07 03:40 PM Re: why why why??? [Re: momx3]
Witch23 Offline
enthusiast

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;There is no doin that with CS. There is no CS bankruptcy. There is no "taking the child away" and "auctioned off".

Because children aren't property. They're PEOPLE. "

-----&gt; Never stated that they were property.... was stating that she was comparing 2 unlike things!!

"Although I realize in today's world that most people think consequences should be forgotten at certain points and that not everyone should be held accountable for what they do. Its just today's mentality I guess. :(

-----&gt; I am all for consequences, but I am also about forgiveness. If you work with certain creditors and you are willing to pay and try to get back on track, most will work with you. Even student loans!!! So why not CS???

#225008 - 05/04/07 04:56 PM Not so... [Re: Witch23]
almostheaven Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: West Virginia
Creditors want their money. Yeah, they'll work with you...on PAYMENTS. They WERE working with him on making payments, and he STILL missed two and did NOT pay the extra towards the arrears at ALL. So what is it he should be forgiven for? For being butt stupid?

My sister hasn't gotten any forgiveness on her student loans or interest. She has to pay them, even thought they agreed with her that she'll NEVER be able to pay them in her lifetime. But its not their problem. They'll work with her on getting payments and not putting her in jail, or whatever, because they're AT LEAST getting something. But they're not forgiving any of what she owes.

#225009 - 05/04/07 04:59 PM Re: why why why??? [Re: katiefedup]
nrvouswrk Offline
Pooh-Bah

katie, didn't you say he actually has quite a few assets but hides them in his wife's name? Am I confusing you with someone else?

If that is the case, he has quite a few options open to him...
He could take a second out on his home and pay the whole thing off 100%. He could do what a lot of folks who are in debt do...get a second job. I don't think he should be rewarded by having any of the amount owed reduced or the interest taken away. Had he paid what he owed at the time it was due, he wouldn't be in this situation.

#225010 - 05/04/07 05:12 PM Re: why why why??? [Re: Witch23]
preemiemom Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

[quote]-----&gt; I am all for consequences, but I am also about forgiveness. If you work with certain creditors and you are willing to pay and try to get back on track, most will work with you. Even student loans!!! So why not CS??? [/quote]

Hmmm.. I'm usually pretty much in agreeance with you, but I have to disagree on this point. It's a little different a loan you take out for a house, or a car, or a stereo system.

Child support is for the BASIC (ie: food/shelter) needs of a child the party responsible for paying child support had an equal part, genetically, for bringing into this world. The child isn't a VCR that you put on your Discover card and then realized you couldn't pay back.

Debt forgiveness with say creditors, just assumes you made a stupid mistake managing your money. Child support NEVER assumes you made a stupid mistake in creating your kids.

Page 2 of 42 < 1 2 3 4 41 42 >

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: