Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#227922 - 05/10/07 03:37 AM 9 yrs. later ex of my husband seeking past medical
shelly41 Offline
recently joined

We received a letter today from H' ex-she want 2300 in past medical bills for the past 9 yrs. She has never asked, wrote or anything else about these bills. Also states he is missing 10 months in payments over a 5 yr. span-never brought this up before now-got made at us about spring break and this is her way of getting back at us-can she get the past 9 yrs. of medical bills even though we never received a bill(decree states he will pay 1/2)-also, would she not have to prove the missing payments-what if they were lost in the mail-she certaintly didn't bring it up then. Any ideas???? [color:blue] [/color]

#227923 - 05/10/07 03:42 AM Re: 9 yrs. later ex of my husband seeking past medical [Re: shelly41]
agui667 Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Yep, she can get them becuase they are owed to her...Just work out a payment plan that works for you..

#227924 - 05/10/07 03:44 AM Re: 9 yrs. later ex of my husband seeking past medical [Re: agui667]
shelly41 Offline
recently joined

Does she not have to send the bills in a timely manner? Perhaps have proof by certified mail. otherwise someone could hold all of them for 19 yrs. and hit the ex with the whole amt.

#227925 - 05/10/07 03:58 AM Re: 9 yrs. later ex of my husband seeking past med [Re: agui667]
ljnsy Offline
old hand

Loc: NH
"Yep, she can get them becuase they are owed to her...Just work out a payment plan that works for you.."

---->That's not necessarily true. In my state there is a 3 year statute of limitations.

#227926 - 05/10/07 04:00 AM Re: 9 yrs. later ex of my husband seeking past medical [Re: shelly41]
rocketgirl Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: On the beach in 14 years...
What State are you in?

#227927 - 05/10/07 04:23 AM Re: 9 yrs. later ex of my husband seeking past medical [Re: shelly41]
matilda Offline
Pooh-Bah

Does she have any proof of the medical bills from doctors and insurance payments? I wouldn't even consider paying anything without proper documentation. I would then look at your CO and state guidelines to determine any time limitations. Some attorneys will give a free consultation for a question or two.

#227928 - 05/10/07 04:24 AM Re: 9 yrs. later ex of my husband seeking past medical [Re: shelly41]
TGSM Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

I am not sure what state you are in, but CA state code says that the parent seeking reimbursement has 30 days from the date of the bill to request payment, from there the other parent has 30 days to repay. If they do not follow these guidelines they are out of luck.

#227929 - 05/10/07 04:33 AM Re: 9 yrs. later ex of my husband seeking past medical [Re: TGSM]
joym525 Offline
old hand

Request ALL bills along with the cooresponding explaination of benefits for each bill. It will be cheaper to pay the bills than hiring a lawyer to represent you in court.

How far behind in CS would you say DH is? You don't have to pay the arrears until your child is emancipated or the local child support office takes a certain amount per month to pay the arrears. But, it may be cheaper to pay the arrears now if there are interest penalties.

#227930 - 05/10/07 05:24 AM Re: 9 yrs. later ex of my husband seeking past medical [Re: joym525]
shelly41 Offline
recently joined

does anyone know the statue of limitations for seeking medical reimbursemnts in Alabama

#227931 - 05/10/07 05:53 AM Re: 9 yrs. later ex of my husband seeking past medical [Re: joym525]
mommy2boys Offline
addict

Loc: Louisiana
I don't know where you get your information, but arrears are due before the child is emancipated. Why do you think deadbeat parents are being arrested and ordered to pay restitution before being released, the restitution is either the entire arrears depending on the amount owed, or a percentage. In some states the NCP has to put up a bond equal to at least a months worth of CS that is repaid every month as the state uses the bond to pay the CS, if the bond isn't repaid the NCP is arrested.

My X is order to pay $100 a month to past arrears and my kids are far from emancipated. MY X's first wife is also ordered to receive $100 a month until the arrears are paid off. There child isn't emancipated either.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: