Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#259352 - 07/23/07 06:12 PM What to include in decree ....
Lotsoflight Offline

What were the most valuable things you or your lawyer included in your divorce decree, custodial agreement or financial agreement? Things like splitting the cost of college, requesting a copy of his/her W2 yearly, etc.

#259353 - 07/23/07 06:55 PM Re: What to include in decree .... [Re: Lotsoflight]
Sherron Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

- making sure to address not just medical, but dental, orthodontal, psychological, psychiatric, and any other necessary wellness services for the children.
- I wish I had right of first refusal as well.
- that my ex was going to pay for my lawyer (the d. was his fault, but he refused to go ahead with the divorce, so I did, but I figured his fault, he can pay. He never did, and my lawyer tried to come after me. I told him the judge signed off that he was to pay. The lawyer says, no, you pay, and he reimburses you. I said read again...it says HE PAYS, not he reimburses... that wording let me off the hook...)
- children spend father's day with dad, mother's day with mom, regardless of who's weekend it is.
- have to look, it's been a while, so I am not sure what other goodies are in there.

#259354 - 07/24/07 11:17 PM Re: What to include in decree .... [Re: Lotsoflight]
Goodmom Offline
Pooh-Bah

Quote:
What were the most valuable things you or your lawyer included in your divorce decree, custodial agreement or financial agreement? Things like splitting the cost of college, requesting a copy of his/her W2 yearly, etc.

Here is what mine has:

-child support continues through college and is in addition to college costs.
-college is split based on our incomes and after scholarships, grants and student loans have been exhausted.
-extracurricular activities (and I have them specifically spelled out) are split based on our incomes.
-who got what in the divorce. Basically, he got his 401K and I got the house and all of the debt.
-life insurance, I am to remain the primary beneficiary on his policy and he is to remain my primary beneficiary on my policy.
-health insurance, dental insurance and who provides it. And how the premiums are split
-medical costs (including dental, braces for both medical and cosmetic reasons, etc.) is split based on our incomes after the $250 per child per year has been met (this is in child support guidelines for my state).
-He had to long to sign a quitclaim to the house to me. One thing to keep in mind, if a quitclaim isn't signed AND filed in a certain period of time, there may be a hefty tax as a result. You may want to address who pays (should be the person who is dragging his/her feet) this if the deadline isn't met.
-his inexperienced attorney basically said I didn't have to refinance. I did anyway. I suggest a time limit on the refinance.
-The tax exemptions for the kids and how it is handled. I got both through emancipation. Judges typically alternate if one child, split if more than one.
-alimony is permanently waived by both parties.
-custody
-visitation/parenting time. I don't recommend what is in my court order. Mine says "as mutually agreed upon by both parties". This is working for ex and I. But, from what I have read on message boards, this would not work for everyone. I suggest something specifically spelled out. If my arrangement ever stops working, we are going to get something specifically spelled out.
Your best bet is to sit down and write a list of what you would like addressed in the divorce. Because it is expensive to go back and address issues.

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: