Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#288812 - 09/25/07 07:40 PM Anyone up for a challenge?
Mrjayride Offline
recently joined

Hi all,

I have some serious issues to deal with regarding my divorce. My wife and I lived in Washington State while we were together. We were married in Idaho, but maintained residence in Washington. We were only married a year before splitting up. I then moved to Oregon and have lived in Oregon for six years. She still lives somewhere in Washington State.

The complicated part is the fact that we have a child together. There are no parenting plans or court orders in place right now.

I want to file for divorce in Oregon. How do I go about working out a parenting plan with this woman who I haven't seen or talked to in six years? I can not locate her or my son. She is supposedly living with family somewhere and is not employed and not using her social security number because an investigator has tried to locate them and can not.

What steps do I need to take to file this divorce and get it to go through? I would like joint custody with her having physical custody of my son except for visitations.

Thank you for any help

#288813 - 09/26/07 12:03 AM Re: Anyone up for a challenge? [Re: Mrjayride]
Gecko Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Third rock from the sun
Since you have no idea of where she or the child is, the courts will most likely NOT address the issue of custody, support and parenting time.

All you can do is file for a divorce, try to have her served at her last known addresses then request service by publication in the town of her last know address.

I would recommend that you hire an attorney and since this will basically be an "default" divorce, shouldn't cost you a whole lot. But note...it will take a minimum of 6 months before this ever sees the inside of a courtroom because of the service issue.

#288814 - 11/13/07 11:29 PM Re: Anyone up for a challenge? [Re: Gecko]
kspellman02 Offline

From someone who got divorced in Oregon....try not to. The laws here favor the woman in virtually ALL respects...including custody, child support, and spousal support. Check to see If you can file in Washington.

#288815 - 11/16/07 06:55 PM Re: Anyone up for a challenge? [Re: kspellman02]
Gecko Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Third rock from the sun
Depends on what county you are in and the ages of the Judges.

#288816 - 03/25/08 10:27 PM Re: Anyone up for a challenge? [Re: Gecko]
kspellman02 Offline

Gecko - if you look at the Oregon Statutes, it is not a county/age of judge thing. The weight is heavily in favor of the woman here in Oregon. Mrjayride should probably file in Idaho where he got married, if possible.

#288817 - 04/13/08 05:37 AM Re: Anyone up for a challenge? [Re: kspellman02]
Darksyren Offline
journeyman

well i was divorced in oregon and i won custody of my children if i choose to i could of had my ex pay child support to me.. Thing with oregon is and if u cant find her not alot u can do..

#288818 - 05/18/08 07:35 PM Re: Anyone up for a challenge? [Re: Mrjayride]
030505 Offline
journeyman

file with your local child support office to put YOURSELF on child support that office will find her for you .all you need is her ss #

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: