Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#294767 - 10/09/07 10:16 PM 57 % of court-ordered support is paid on time
Dee78 Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: TN
I thought this was an interesting statistic. My dad told me about an article that was written in the paper. I checked it out online and found this statistic along with others.

Here's the article for those that are interested:
http://www.timesfreepress.com/absolutenm/templates/local.aspx?articleid=21574&zoneid=77

According to this article, I will be getting a check sometime soon or ex will be losing his license, again. Every two years they send a revocation letter to those in arrears, ex will get it again this year.

#294768 - 10/09/07 10:45 PM Re: 57 % of court-ordered support is paid on time [Re: Dee78]
momx3 Offline
old hand

IMO, they shouldn't skip over them just because they made a payment within the last 90 days. I don't know of any CS order that requires payment once a quarter; therefore, if only ONE payment was made in 90 days, that doesn't prove effort on the part of the paying parent.

Just my 2c worth! lol But I'm glad you'll be getting a payment Dee. :)

#294769 - 10/09/07 10:55 PM Re: 57 % of court-ordered support is paid on time [Re: momx3]
Dee78 Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

I completely agree. All it takes is a phone call to say that they'll start making payments and they can stop the revocation.

Who knows if I'll actually get a payment, he chose to have his license revoked the last time.

#294770 - 10/09/07 11:22 PM Re: 57 % of court-ordered support is paid on time [Re: Dee78]
almostheaven Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: West Virginia
That's just like when they sent my case to the Federal judge. The wording of course said if they were over $5K in arrears OR one year of no payments. But CSE and the judge interpretted it as AND one year. So when he sent them a $50 payment after 2 years of NO payments, the judge sent the paperwork back and said they couldn't make it Federal now. At the time, I didn't know about the Federal law or what it said, so didn't realize they were such idiots.

But even if it HAD said and, that's B.S. That is NOT an effort. This is a place where the whole system is screwed up on this. They keep interpretting a one time thing as some kind of effort. And to further show their stupidity, they do it more than once to the same individual who keeps skirting the whole system in this manner.

#294771 - 10/10/07 12:17 PM Re: 57 % of court-ordered support is paid on time [Re: almostheaven]
Redlegg Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

If 57% of support is paid on time, it is just plain disgusting that 43% of the support is not paid on time. Not one of these non paying parents would accept that from an employer, where they get their own support in the form of a paycheck.

#294772 - 10/10/07 07:08 PM Re: 57 % of court-ordered support is paid on time [Re: Redlegg]
Relayer Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Moorglade Mover
A majority of support is paid on time..

#294773 - 10/10/07 07:15 PM Re: 57 % of court-ordered support is paid on time [Re: Relayer]
JennyLynn Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Yeah, props to 57% of NCP's.

#294774 - 10/10/07 08:44 PM Re: 57 % of court-ordered support is paid on time [Re: Relayer]
almostheaven Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

And NEARLY half isn't. :(

Aside from that, we don't get kudos for being good parents, we're supposed to do that without being told to. The ones paying on time, good for them. I always supported my daughter on time throughout her life too...someone had to.

But why is there 43% that DON'T, even when they're being forced to? Why are there that many people out having kids who shouldn't be. Hell, I'll even conceed that some of that 43% MAY not be paid on time for good reason. But I'll wager it's not that many. And of the ones without good reasoning, WTF is wrong with society?

#294775 - 10/10/07 09:22 PM Re: 57 % of court-ordered support is paid on time [Re: almostheaven]
Gecko Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Third rock from the sun
But why is there 43% that DON'T, even when they're being forced to?

---> Hmmmmmmm...if people are being "forced" to pay, then doesn't that mean that they are paying?

---> Also, not everyone who doesn't pay on "time" is a "deadbeat".

---> And what exactly is the definition of "on time" anyway? Is paying support in accordance with one's pay period instead of by the 1st of the month as boilerplated in courts orders? Is it getting paid on the 31st and the check not getting into CSE hands until the 5th mean that it is "late"?

#294776 - 10/10/07 11:33 PM Re: 57 % of court-ordered support is paid on time [Re: Gecko]
Relayer Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Moorglade Mover
Well, the law of the land should be garnishment instead of this silly habit of one parent just paying the other. Then there is no arguement now is there?

#294777 - 10/10/07 11:45 PM Re: 57 % of court-ordered support is paid on time [Re: Relayer]
Dee78 Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Actually there is because you still have those (like my ex)that can't be garnished. My state pretty much automatically garnishes if you go through the state.

#294778 - 10/11/07 05:08 PM Re: 57 % of court-ordered support is paid on time [Re: Gecko]
almostheaven Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

---> Hmmmmmmm...if people are being "forced" to pay, then doesn't that mean that they are paying?

You know what I mean. They're being forced via court orders to support their child through CS because they would do it voluntarily. THEN they find ways to even skirt around the court order. If they did it willingly, the whole CS system would never have existed in the first place.

---> Also, not everyone who doesn't pay on "time" is a "deadbeat".

Why have you taken to being obtuse lately? I'll quote my post: "Hell, I'll even conceed that some of that 43% MAY not be paid on time for good reason."

---> And what exactly is the definition of "on time" anyway? Is paying support in accordance with one's pay period instead of by the 1st of the month as boilerplated in courts orders? Is it getting paid on the 31st and the check not getting into CSE hands until the 5th mean that it is "late"?

Which is PART of my quote above. Some don't pay on time for good reason...be it their pay period, temp loss of job, hospitalization, whatever.

#294779 - 10/11/07 05:10 PM Re: 57 % of court-ordered support is paid on time [Re: Dee78]
almostheaven Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

And it likely even unfairly punishes those who do pay like they're supposed to, who may work for small companies that hate dealing with the hassles of a garnishment...they may be let go over this. Or the CP who got their support on time and now gets it late because they were forced to have it garnished and we all know CSE works on THEIR schedule.

No, we wouldn't have this problem if everyone in the world behaved responsibly. But we all know that THAT also ain't a happening.

#294780 - 10/11/07 05:17 PM Re: 57 % of court-ordered support is paid on time [Re: almostheaven]
Gecko Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Third rock from the sun
Sorry...looks like I misread some of your post.

#294781 - 10/12/07 03:41 PM Re: 57 % of court-ordered support is paid on time [Re: Gecko]
JRS Offline
old hand

garnishment orders are not fool proof when:
a. there is contract work available
b. there are people who will support NCPs so they don't have to work
c. they change jobs so frequently the paperwork can never get processed fast enough
or
d. (like my ex) does a combo of a,b,and c

#294782 - 10/19/07 02:53 AM Re: 57 % of court-ordered support is paid on time [Re: JRS]
wendieann Offline
journeyman

Loc: Manitoba, Canada
[quote]garnishment orders are not fool proof when:
a. there is contract work available
b. there are people who will support NCPs so they don't have to work
c. they change jobs so frequently the paperwork can never get processed fast enough
or
d. (like my ex) does a combo of a,b,and c [/quote]

e. work for family member and hide extra income in OW's name!
f. family employer accidently fills the checks out wrong and they have to be redone....

By the way, I love the comparison with work..would you accept your job only paying you 57% of your wage?! Good one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: