Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#298148 - 10/16/07 02:18 PM Protecting the future...
a_good_dad Offline

I will be going to mediation for the final parenting plan beginning next week. What are some of the things I should be sure to ask that she pays her share of OUTSIDE of child support?

Example: % of any Medical Bills, Child Care?

#298149 - 10/16/07 02:45 PM Re: Protecting the future... [Re: a_good_dad]
DeeCee Offline
addict

I would ask..a hypothetical question. Such as what happens if she does to pay her share...what security do you have. Sure you could take her to court, but then that cost is out of your pocket. You need a solid assurance other than a promise..maybe a lien on her car, bank acccount? Just ask.

#298150 - 10/19/07 02:02 AM Re: Protecting the future... [Re: a_good_dad]
Goodmom Offline
Pooh-Bah

Quote:
I will be going to mediation for the final parenting plan beginning next week. What are some of the things I should be sure to ask that she pays her share of OUTSIDE of child support?

Example: % of any Medical Bills, Child Care?

Child care depends on the state. Some states consider childcare part of child support and don't add on extra for it.

Medical, depends on the state. Some states split it based on income. Meaning the one who makes more, pays more.

Extracurricular activities are a good thing to address.

If the two of you can come to an agreement, the judge will usually sign off on it.

The tax exemption is another thing to address.

#298151 - 10/19/07 02:03 AM Re: Protecting the future... [Re: DeeCee]
Goodmom Offline
Pooh-Bah

Quote:
I would ask..a hypothetical question. Such as what happens if she does to pay her share...what security do you have. Sure you could take her to court, but then that cost is out of your pocket. You need a solid assurance other than a promise..maybe a lien on her car, bank acccount? Just ask.

There is no way a judge would order a lien on anything if there are no arrears. He's not going to start out with a lien on anything.

What he can do is ask that he gets the tax exemption(s) if she is not current on any of her financial obligations.

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: