Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#312859 - 11/14/07 06:50 PM non-allocated family support/alimony
jessica023 Offline
recently joined

My fiance was set up to pay non-allocated family support/alimony in his divorce decree by his ex-wife and her attorney. It was clearly dictated in the decree that no alimony was to be paid - and that both husband and wife had waived their rights to it. He has been paying the family support monthly as his child support, and he has been instructed to deduct the amount in full on his taxes. I have also investigated the 4 requirements of Section 71(b) (1) and this cash payout clearly qualifies as Alimony.

Since he clearly stated that he wouldn't pay alimony in the contract, and child support isn't tax deductible - how did this contract come to be? Is this collusion? And can it be terminated? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Jess

#312860 - 11/14/07 06:53 PM Re: non-allocated family support/alimony [Re: jessica023]
Miranda Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: North of Mexico
Repost this on the regular alimony board and type your state in the question.

#312861 - 12/28/07 12:31 PM Re: non-allocated family support/alimony [Re: jessica023]
Goodmom Offline
Pooh-Bah

[quote]My fiance was set up to pay non-allocated family support/alimony in his divorce decree by his ex-wife and her attorney. It was clearly dictated in the decree that no alimony was to be paid - and that both husband and wife had waived their rights to it. He has been paying the family support monthly as his child support, and he has been instructed to deduct the amount in full on his taxes. I have also investigated the 4 requirements of Section 71(b) (1) and this cash payout clearly qualifies as Alimony.

Since he clearly stated that he wouldn't pay alimony in the contract, and child support isn't tax deductible - how did this contract come to be? Is this collusion? And can it be terminated? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Jess [/quote]

Well, he could go back and have the wording changed to child support (he's not going to be able to stop paying child support until emancipation) and NOT be able to deduct it at all.

That's pretty much up to him. Personally, I would leave it the way that I wouldn't have to pay taxes on it.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: