Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#352150 - 02/15/08 05:16 PM Help: Stepkids moving to opposite coast
newmom76 Offline
recently joined

**I submitted this in another forum as well but I'm hoping to reach as many people that may have information as possible**I submitted a post about a year ago because my fiance's ex-wife was getting married to someone in the military and we were concerned about the possibilities involved with relocation. The problem was that we were already in a different state (we live in NC and they lived in MD at the time). Since then, she has moved to GA which is much closer and we're just starting to get into the grove of seeing the kids on a monthly basis. Now, they are already moving again, less than a year later, to CA which is a 3 hour time zone difference and a really long flight. She has expressed that she would permit them to fly now (she has not permitted this in the past when we wanted them to fly between NC and MD). However, although I thought a 1hr flight between NC and MD was reasonable, I have concerns about them being on an airplane for four or more hours without one of us. With all of that said, we are trying to figure out what our options are. Any suggestions?

#352151 - 02/16/08 03:34 PM Re: Help: Stepkids moving to opposite coast [Re: newmom76]
PhillyDadof3 Offline
journeyman

New - I have to admit this is a tough situation to be in. My kids live in Southwest GA and I am here in PA and it is very hard to deal with the current visitation agreement (I see them 8 weeks during the year). My ex has married a retired military but there is always the chance they would want to move anyway because of certain jobs he would like to have.

How old are the kids? Can they decide if they want to stay or go? If not - I would fight as much as I could that the kids need their father too. Is it best for the kids to move to CA. If this a part time assignment or a permanent station?

#352152 - 02/18/08 01:01 PM Re: Help: Stepkids moving to opposite coast [Re: PhillyDadof3]
newmom76 Offline
recently joined

The kids are 7 and 8. I believe that they would be in CA for 3 years, however, when they moved to GA, it was supposed to be for 3 years as well and it hasn't even been a year. We feared the military situation when their mom first announced that she was marrying someone in the military. However, their first move brought them closer to us so it didn't seem that we'd have to worry about it at least for a few years. I want to do what's best for the kids but they are already in a place where they cry not when we are taking them home, but when we pick them up because they are anticipating having to leave in a week. Not only that but they haven't attended the same school two years in a row since they started school. They have each attended a new school each year since Kindergarden. It just doesn't seem fair to them that they have to readjust so often when we have a stable household that could be their foundation.

#352153 - 02/18/08 06:08 PM Re: Help: Stepkids moving to opposite coast [Re: newmom76]
PhillyDadof3 Offline
journeyman

Is there a chance they will move back to the East coast after this deployment? If so - I would think about fighting for the kids to stay with you and have stability. I know it is accepted practice to have military kids move alot and not be in the same school often but this is not what was choosen by your husband when he decided to have kids with his ex.

#352154 - 04/27/08 01:57 AM Re: Help: Stepkids moving to opposite coast [Re: PhillyDadof3]
Yikez Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
What is your visitation schedule?

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: