Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#353113 - 02/18/08 05:20 PM Spousal Support - Inherited Porperty
DaleThomas Offline
recently joined

I have a question I am hoping someone can answer. When calculating spousal support amount and duration, does inherited money and property count against the spouses net value/income?

The situation is this. I am offering my wife the entire equity in our house 400k. I am offering to take the 3 major bills we have. She also has inherited from her mother a condo worth about 300k and cash totaling over 100k. She is on disability retirement and makes around 900 a month. I make 75k a year. She is telling me that her inherited property does not count towards her spousal amount or duration. I thought Arizona had a limited duration spousal law, but she says because of her age 59 and earning ability, disabled, it does not apply to her. So even if I give her all the assets, she says she may still want spousal support. I am not comfortable with this as her net value will already be around 1 million dollars.

What are the laws as it regards to this? Any help would be appreciated.

#353114 - 02/19/08 04:38 AM Re: Spousal Support - Inherited Porperty [Re: DaleThomas]
googledad Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

I have a question I am hoping someone can answer. When calculating spousal support amount and duration, does inherited money and property count against the spouses net value/income?

>>>>>>>>>> Yes .

The situation is this. I am offering my wife the entire equity in our house 400k. I am offering to take the 3 major bills we have.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Why ? What marital property are you keeping ? 401k ? Other assets ? Are you trying to negotiate no alimony for your share of the home .If she's still asking for alimony after your offer , you're better of keeping your share .

She also has inherited from her mother a condo worth about 300k and cash totaling over 100k. She is on disability retirement and makes around 900 a month. I make 75k a year. She is telling me that her inherited property does not count towards her spousal amount or duration.

>>>>>>>>>>>>> Untrue. Both marital property apportioned to her and separate property can effect the amount and duration .

I thought Arizona had a limited duration spousal law,

>>>>>>>>> No .

but she says because of her age 59 and earning ability, disabled, it does not apply to her. So even if I give her all the assets, she says she may still want spousal support. I am not comfortable with this as her net value will already be around 1 million dollars.

>>>>>>>>>>> She wants it all .

What are the laws as it regards to this? Any help would be appreciated.

>>>>>>>>http://www.azleg.state.az.us/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/25/00319.htm&Title=25&DocType=ARS

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: