Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#357598 - 02/27/08 02:45 PM Giving up rights
wylderaven Offline
recently joined

Registered: 02/13/08
Posts: 4
My husband and his ex has been divorced nearly 13 years ago. When his son was 6 months, she took the baby and moved to another state to live with her parents. He never saw them again. The mother and child now lives in Alabama, we live out of state. He has been paying child support. Just over a year ago, she contacted him about giving up his rights. Since she has barred him from seeing his son all these years, he agreed. Since then...we haven't heard anything else from her. He contacted her and she blew him off saying she had a family illness to deal with. My husband wants to close this chapter in his life. It may not be the moral thing to do for some, but this is what he wants, the ex says she wants, and we've been told the child does not consider him as the father. How do we go about giving up his rights? Is this a long process? Since we live out of the state, we're not sure where to start...

#357599 - 03/12/08 11:01 PM Re: Giving up rights [Re: wylderaven]
Kat22 Offline

Registered: 02/26/08
Posts: 91
As far as I know, the only way to sign away rights is if her new husband is going to take custody.

#357600 - 10/14/08 07:19 PM Re: Giving up rights [Re: Kat22]
Catwoman3 Offline
recently joined

Registered: 10/14/08
Posts: 7
I think a parent can give up rights regardless if there is a new husband willing to get custody. You can probably just get an attorney and have him draw up the papers.
I dont see where she would have to do anything, just the man in this case. You can have your attorney send her the papers when it is done.


Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: