Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#397665 - 06/05/08 03:31 PM need help
4everfriend Offline
recently joined

My wife left with our kids and went to live with her sister in wyoming. We were not gonna get divorced till i sold some properties we have and get things paid off. I have been giving her money every month and she has a job up there. I just received divorce papers that she filed in wyo, I live in colorado. She wants me to pay for all credit card debt, her new computer and pay off her car. She took everything we owned out of the house. What do I do?

#397666 - 06/05/08 05:13 PM Re: need help [Re: 4everfriend]
almostheaven Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: West Virginia
When you let her take your kids and move out of state, you made a huge mistake. There may be very little you CAN do now. However, since she took everything out of the house and took your kids and you had THOUGHT she was going to wait, the judge may be sympathetic and award her more of the debt. It is highly unlikely you would be ordered to pay for her car and computer. If she took those, she'll likely be paying for them herself. Start documenting ALL monies you send/sent her. How long has she been in WY? If not 6 months, she probably can't even legally file there, as she likely hasn't met the residency requirements. If that's the case, beat her to the punch and file in CO. Make her come THERE for this. If she's met the requirements, then the ball's in her court and you can't change that. Be sure to be present, even if it does mean a trip to WY.

#397667 - 06/05/08 07:05 PM Re: need help [Re: almostheaven]
4everfriend Offline
recently joined

She left last July. I have been giving her 1400 every month. And now in the divorce papers I got served with she is wanting me to take all the credit card debt even ones she has gotten since she left and she bought this new computer and took her car and wants me to pay for everything.

#397668 - 06/05/08 08:39 PM Re: need help [Re: 4everfriend]
matart1 Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

she certainly wants a lot...

it may behove you to seek representation of a lawyer.

assets and debt are usually divided.

the $1400 a month that you are giving her may be considered a gift since there is nothing documented in court.
hopefully your checks and documentation will hold up in your favor in court.

most of the times the parent moving away is to absorb the costs of transportation for visitation so I would argue that in court if I was you.

her new computer purchase is her debt.

you might have a good chance of arguing the car as her's as well.

I would remind her that the other debt acquired throughout the marriage is half her's as well.

seek a lawyer because it sounds like you may need it with hat loony bin.

edited to add P.S. get the child support formalized instead of it coming back and biting you in the butt...good luck.

Edited by matart1 (06/05/08 08:40 PM)

#397669 - 06/05/08 08:41 PM Re: need help [Re: matart1]
4everfriend Offline
recently joined

Can I use a lawyer from colorado or do I need one in wyoming?

#397670 - 06/06/08 07:18 PM Re: need help [Re: 4everfriend]
almostheaven Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: West Virginia
If WY does indeed hold jurisdiction (meaning she met their residency requirements before filing), you should get a lawyer with the ability to PRACTICE in WY. They don't have to actually BE in WY, just be able to practice there. Or...you can get a CO attorney who can guide you through the process and help you with the forms, but not actually go to court or file the documents for you.

#397671 - 06/06/08 08:18 PM Re: need help [Re: almostheaven]
4everfriend Offline
recently joined

Thank you you have been a great help to me.

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: