Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#450839 - 10/19/08 11:28 PM Finding hidden assets
SueNJack Offline
recently joined

Loc: Idaho
My BF Jack has been trying to settle a divorce for 19 mos. She kicked him out but he filed. Since then nothing has been settled. Her attorney has asked for continuances, recused judges etc so in 19 mos. nothing settled. Jack's previous attorney dropped him because he couldn't give him any more money, (he did nothing anyway!) Jack borrowed money to obtain another atty. We recently went before the court with the new atty. There was a house that was sold and 28k in a trust acct (with her atty.). His atty filed a motion to release 5K for atty fees. Her atty filed, (in retaliation, ) for a temporary order for spousal maintanence, post secondary child support, half of his disability from previous injury.
The judge awarded 4K to each party from the trust fund and ordered Jack to pay maintenance. Here's the issue with the maintenance........she worked for 15 years making between 20k and 50k and quit a month after she kicked him out and applied for SSI. She got it. She has ALL the marital property, to date he has only recieved about $500 worth of stuff, she sent money to her mother in CA. during the marriage , had control of all the finances, had a savings account that HIS money went into, set up a retirement account through her work, paid NO debts with her income and still he pays all remaining community debts and she made a side deal on the sale of the home and received 25K in cash (have declaration and witness to this but no other proof. We are pursuing this with the atty and will be going to court). She has not hidden extra expenditures but the court has not yet asked for an explanation of where she has gotten the money for these 'extras'. How can we find these hidden assets? She has ALL the financial paperwork but denies she does. She also denies any assets or money kept anywhere. Again tho....she isn't hiding her spending. HELP??????
We live in Idaho but the divorce is through Washington State.

#450840 - 12/24/08 11:36 AM Re: Finding hidden assets [Re: SueNJack]
okwithit Offline
recently joined

The best advice I wish someone would have told me is SETTLE NOW BEFORE THE ATTORNEYS SUCK THE LIFE OUTTA YOUR SAVINGS. THEY PRETEND TO DO ALL SORTS OF "TRIAL" WORK AND THEN AT THE LAST MINUTE THEY FORCE YOU TO SETTLE. sETTLE AND GET ON WITH LIFE. IF YOU ARE A MALE IN THE USA .....BEND OVER AND TAKE IT

#450841 - 07/19/10 08:52 PM Re: Finding hidden assets [Re: okwithit]
dogtails Offline

recently joined

I understand and commend you for helping your friend Jack out, but being in this role type myself previously I caution you to let Jack help his own self out of his divorce mess. In other words; to remain healthy > do not get involved or enable Jack as his problems will become yours to bear. Let him speak for himself. (Forgive me if I'm off base.)

And, yes, "okwithit" has sound advice: settle now and get your lives back.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: