Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#47940 - 11/29/05 09:00 PM relocation/custody
atlantamom Offline
recently joined

I will be getting married to a man who lives in CT (with a career) and am planning on taking my 3 yr old daughter. I have sole physical custody, and my divorce decree states I need to give 30 days notice prior to moving, but doesn't state I can't move out of state. What are my odds of losing custody? My x will try to get custody and I'm scared.

#47941 - 04/19/06 01:20 PM Re: relocation/custody [Re: atlantamom]
NancyD Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New York
There are no "odds"—this isn't Vegas. It depends on the judge, and how they feel about the reasons offered for the move. If your ex has not been very involved in child's life...that is, has not used most of his current parenting time and you are able to prove that, the judge may be more favorable to the move. If you present a viable long-distance parenting plan where your ex still has about as much time as he currently has, you should be OK. If he currently has four days a month (EOW) and two weeks in the summer, you may have to offer six-seven weeks in the summer, and time over major holidays. Could you afford the cost of transporting your child back and forth? That may be part of the requirement, too.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: